HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Still scratching my head

by crude4u / October 22, 2007 12:25 AM PDT

Well, I've been through the Windows Networking wizard and several other attempts to create what I want but nothing seems to work the way I expected.
In short, what I'm trying to do is to be able to click on "my computer" and when the window opens be able to see the hard drives on the other computers which are on my network. I think I understand that the other stations have to give permission for the drives to be shared but I want full access to the hard drive and for that station to have access to my computer's hard drive. The purpose of this is to be able to use my laptop from the bedroom or the living room and to access the files on my main computer in the office. It's kind of like when there's a server and all the others computers are just stations accessing a central hard drive. Is there a way to do this.
By the way, I'm using Windows XP Pro, I have two hard drives for half a TB but at this time only 1 gig of memory. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Still scratching my head
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Still scratching my head
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My Network Places
by BrianZachary / October 22, 2007 1:06 AM PDT

When you create a network, any computer on that network will be accessible in the network folder, not My Computer.

If you haven't done so yet, right click on any empty space on the taskbar and bring up Properties. In the Start Menu tab make sure Start Menu is selected and click the Customize button next to it. Go to the Advanced tab. Scrill down the checklist until you see My Network Places and make sure it's checked. Click OK to exit, Apply then OK in the next one.

Now open your Start Menu and just below My Computer will be My Network Places. That's where you can access other computers on your network.

There are a couple things you can do with this folder if you right click on it in the Start Menu. The first is you can rename it to whatever name you gave your network. The second is you can Show on Desktop for easy access from the desktop and whatever name you gave it will automatically be that name on the desktop icon.

Hope this clears it up for you. Sorry if I overexplained this or explained something you already knew how to do, just wanted to make sure you knew what I was talking about.

Collapse -
Actually you can
by PKsteven / October 22, 2007 2:28 AM PDT

If you do as I did, you must right click the drives\partitions to be shared, Sharing and Security, set share this drive\folder. You also go to Desktop, Network places, right click , Map Network drive, browse for the drive, select a letter, eg...x, y, z, whatever.. and there you go. If you want an easy shortcut to the desktop, just drag n' drop the shared drive from the my computer location to desktop.

You must do this on all PC's you want to share to access the drives of course.

This is a truncated version so if still stuck, give a yell.

Paul

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.