Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Still, another reason to doubt AGW

by critic411 / September 20, 2008 1:09 AM PDT
http://wattsupwiththat.wordpress.com/2008/09/15/how-not-to-measure-temperature-part-71-noaa-neglect-of-volunteer-observers/

?Every time I see something like this it angers me. In private industry we have demands for quality control. There are protocols like ISO-9000 put into place by industry voluntarily, to ensure quality products and services, yet it appears we have not even a hint of similar quality control in the measurement and collection system of the USHCN data set.?

"Which makes this statement from the home page of NOAA?s USHCN particularly laughable:
The United States Historical Climatology Network (USHCN) is a high quality, moderate-sized data set of daily and monthly records of basic meteorological variables from over 1000 observing stations across the 48 contiguous United States."

The data is bad and at least very suspect.
At the very least, AGW and its rush to judgments should be tempered.
Discussion is locked
Collapse -
It's newspeak. It's the latest rage from the academic world.
by Kiddpeat / September 20, 2008 2:59 AM PDT

Whatever WE do, it is, by definition, high quality. I imagine the bright young things on Wall Street and elsewhere said much the same about all the new mortgage loans they were making. Nothing but high quality as far as the eye can see.

Collapse -
This is what they base the temperature claims on?
by EdHannigan / September 20, 2008 12:28 PM PDT

Amazing.

Why don't they save time and just make some up?

Collapse -
You joke about making up values !!!
by critic411 / September 20, 2008 10:19 PM PDT

But they do !!

And that is a fact

Collapse -
ISO-9000 can assure consistently bad product too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 20, 2008 11:05 PM PDT

As I have been on the ISO-9000 ride for years I've seen that while its great at making the product consistent it has little to do with the product's goodness. If the ISO-9000 instruction tells how to make a mediocre product you get mediocre product. ISO-9000 also impedes the changes from mediocre to great products.

Collapse -
Dilbert had a cartoon like that
by critic411 / September 20, 2008 11:14 PM PDT

"We can have a crappy product as long as we document the process"

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!