Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Stilettos on wheels: Cycling goes chic

by JP Bill / September 20, 2008 1:44 PM PDT
Stilettos on wheels: Cycling goes chic

Winnipeg ? I often get around town by bike. So curious is this behaviour to the Lexus-drivin', lunch bag-packin' crowd I encounter in suburban Winnipeg, that it is often discussed, sometimes behind my back. When it is to my face, at least I can defend myself. "I am not a hippy freak," I say, oozing frustration and impatience, like Jerry Seinfeld when he started carrying a man bag. "I'm being European."

Indeed, few hippies pedal around in four-inch Manolos and Birkin bags. But a growing number of cyclists do.

Fashion, they say, comes and goes in cycles. Now, it's cycling that's in fashion; the style brigade has taken up the two-wheel ride and, in doing so, is changing the image of the cyclist.

I have a 21 speed mountain bike (feels like it weighs 50 lbs) was in a bike shop lifted up one bike (carbon fibre) felt like about 10 lbs. $3500.00 (no i didn't buy it)
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Stilettos on wheels: Cycling goes chic
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Stilettos on wheels: Cycling goes chic
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Notice her bike- old-school European. Very nice.
by drpruner / September 20, 2008 3:37 PM PDT

Any modern metal bike feels light to me, and I'm not that big.
Al and Mg are good, as are specialty steels. None of them Wal-Mart cheap, though.

Collapse -
There is a large market segment devoted to that ...
by Bill Osler / September 20, 2008 9:38 PM PDT

The so-called Commuter Bikes are aimed at people who have somewhere to go and who don't want to wear lycra on their trip. Other bikes designed just for getting around town in style are Cruisers and Comfort Bikes but they appeal to slightly different target audiences.

These bikes are not necessarily expensive, but they are like everything else in fashion - you can spend a whole lot extra to get a famous name painted on the bike.

A couple of older pages showing a few commuter bike examples is here and here.
One of the heavily advertised companies that makes 'cruisers' rather than 'commuter bikes,' (Electra Bikes), takes its styling pretty seriously.

Collapse -
About Stilettos and riding
by Bill Osler / September 20, 2008 9:41 PM PDT

I know men like the way women look in heels, and some women seem anxious to wear them. Some things in life don't make sense.

I can't say that I recommend high heels for riding ... but then I can't say I recommend them for much of anything else either.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?