HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Sticky optical mouse problems

by mplsbill / October 29, 2004 3:45 AM PDT

My mouse drives me crazy! It works properly about half the time, the other half it sticks, jerks, won't move at all, and to get it to work, I have to gently bang it on the mousepad. Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sticky optical mouse problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sticky optical mouse problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Sticky optical mouse problems
by billzhills / October 29, 2004 5:54 AM PDT

Not sure ... but try it with out the mouse pad or a dark mouse pad. If light is not refelected correctly proper tracking would not be attained.

Collapse -
by Tinkerman / October 29, 2004 9:34 AM PDT

I have always used my Optical Mouse without a pad and found this gives the best perfomance,incidently the user instructins advise this.

Tinkerman.

Collapse -
by mplsbill / October 29, 2004 9:58 AM PDT

Thanks for the advice, but I started using a mousepad again recently when the problem started to happen, now it seems to be getting worse!

Collapse -
by Cb21 / October 29, 2004 10:27 AM PDT

Also try carefully cleaning the optical hole under the mouse, and/or gently vacuum the hole. Althouth this might sound like a dumb suggestion, I've found small pieces of hair, etc that have gotten inside mine corrected simular problems.

Collapse -
by roddy32 / October 29, 2004 10:34 AM PDT

I've also found that canned air works great for that too as long as you don't use it close enough to knock the mouse out of your hands LOL.

Collapse -
by dcrewchief / October 29, 2004 12:26 PM PDT

you mentioned it is an optical mouse. by chance is it wireless optical mouse? if wireless try changing the batteries. Happy

Collapse -
by jdorisco / October 29, 2004 12:33 PM PDT

The curser on my Microsoft wireless optical mouse would sometimes jump from the middle of the screen, to the lower lefthand corner. I installed an updated driver and the problem was cured. Now if I could just make these batteries last longer.

Collapse -
by dcrewchief / October 29, 2004 12:38 PM PDT

battery life in a wireless optical is not the greatest. i use my pc quite frequently usualy playing games so i only get about 60 to 90 days out of them so i have switched to rechargable ones and always have fresh ones ready.:)

Collapse -
by roddy32 / October 29, 2004 12:43 PM PDT

I've got a Logitech Cordless Optical and they recommended using it on a white piece of paper taped to your desk claiming that the laser doesn't have to search as hard. I still go through batteries but it seemed to double the life of them by doing that. I still buy them by the 8 pack though. LOL

Collapse -
Problem solved, thank you very much.
by geewhite / December 4, 2009 7:39 PM PST

Here i was thinking of why my mouse was sticking for about 5 to 10 secs at a time, so on reading your post, lifted up my wee mouse and low and behold, 2 hairs inside it. Thank you very much for your post, it has saved me swearing at my mouse and my screen. Cheers. Graeme.

Collapse -
Clean your optical mouse (maintenance)
by JonCDav / September 15, 2009 9:30 AM PDT

Remember the old days where you needed to scrub down the mouse pad with dish soap to help cut down on the lint build up on the mouse roller ball? Well, times haven't changed that much. Periodically, you need to use canned air to blow out the optical reader port on the mouse. Then use a Q-Tip soaked with Isopropyl alcohol and clean the port. Then dry the port with the dry end of the Q-Tip.
Repeat steps as necessary. You should notice a marked improvement!
-Jon

Collapse -
Sticky optical mouse problems
by Zorpho / August 8, 2010 1:47 AM PDT

Check your batteries as well as the laser lens making sure it's clean both on the transmitter and the receiver.
Don't use a pad and try to use a light coloured surface.

Collapse -
mouse gone haywire
by shelleybink64 / January 13, 2011 3:18 PM PST

I am having a problem with my optical mouse too, I dont understand when I"m playing games the light goes out and I have to unplug it and plug it back in, in order for it to work. Any suggestions? windows xp

Collapse -
mouse gone hayware
by shelleybink64 / January 13, 2011 3:23 PM PST

IM using windows xp, and I dont understand why my mouse light keeps going off. I play in facebook and there is a lot of clicking. I keep having to unplug my mouse and plug it back in order for it to work. Any suggestions?

Collapse -
bang it on floor
by nonstoptaxi / October 20, 2011 4:25 AM PDT
In reply to: mouse gone hayware

i just bang my mouse on the floor and it works for me, weird one but most of the time it works for me, not only mouse, mobile phones and other electronic stuff, i swear. Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.