Computer Help forum

General discussion

step by step on how to format a dell Dimension 2400

i have to redo the Dell Dimension 2400 i have ...a resource CD(device drivers,diagnostic and utilities,computer documentation).....a modem software for Microsoft CD(drivers,diagnostics and utilities,online documentation,modem on hold).....a for reinstalling dell tools system software CD(antivirus,support,multimedia,internet software).....reinstallation CD(windows xp h.ed.).....user documentation CD(HTML user doc.,drivers INF,ICM,CAT files) AND I HAVE TO REPARTITION. HOW DO I PARTITION AND WHAT ORDER DO I INSTALL THESE CD'S HEAD OF CONFUSION

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: step by step on how to format a dell Dimension 2400
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: step by step on how to format a dell Dimension 2400
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Start With...

In reply to: step by step on how to format a dell Dimension 2400

...the "Reinstallation CD" because it contains the operating system.. Place the CD in the CD drive, then restart the computer.. It should then give you the various options for deleting the previous partitions, creating a new one, then installing the operating system. Some of the Dell "Reinstallation CDs" are nothing more than a Windows XP installation disc. If there aren't specific options given to you when the CD loads, you can usually use the instructions in the link below to get things done. The link provides pictures of what you should see during the process so you can repartition, reformat, then reinstall the operating system.:

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxphome/sp2installxpcdoldhdd/indexfullpage.htm

After the operating system is installed and you restart the computer and set up the users, then it's time to install all of the drivers using the Resource CD, then the modem software, then the system software..

And after that, assuming you've got everything running, then you'll need to assure you've got all the correct Windows Updates. Many of the installation CD's don't include Service Pack 3 for XP.. If you need to install SP3, see the link below for instructions:

Update: Preparing Your Windows XP Computer For SP3

After installing SP3 to XP, then visit the Windows Update site and install all remaining critical updates for Windows and all other programs.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Backups?

In reply to: step by step on how to format a dell Dimension 2400

I assume you've backed up all your files and browser favorites? XP has a Files and Settings Transfer Wizard that can save all your little setting tweaks and files. I didn't neede it for files as I have everything on a bacup drive, but for settings it was a time saver...http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/crawford_november12.mspx.
Both Internet Explorer and Firefox have ways to back up your Favorites lists...
One way for I.E. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211089
For I.E., Firefox and Chrome http://www.ehow.com/how_7704840_back-up-favorites-list.html

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.