Computer Help forum

Steam problems on Windows 8

by JinxWuzHere / October 28, 2014 5:54 AM PDT

My problem: Every time I have had my laptop on for a while, and I click to launch Steam (I don't want it in the background), regardless of if I click it as admin or not, it won't start. And not only that, it also kind of freezes my whole laptop. I can't click any apps or go to a web browser, it does work to click it but it's just broken somehow. I tried doing stuff while everything being broken but nothing worked.

So everytime I want to start Steam, I gotta hold the power button to turn the laptop off and then start it again. And then, Steam works perfectly, everything else too. It's very strange that it only works directly after I have started my laptop. Some things that also occur when I restart my laptop:

A window with this text appears every time:
"Exception Processing Message 0x0000005 Parameters

0x00007FFEC75464B0 0x00007FFEC75464B0"
I have searched for it on Google but found nothing.

<div>Also, my Avast Antivirus icon on my desktop is moved from the right side to the left side, but I keep putting it where I want it on the right side.
Would be happy if anyone could help me with this Happy

This is on a Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E540 with i7 processor.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Steam problems on Windows 8
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Steam problems on Windows 8
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's a series of laptops.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 28, 2014 6:00 AM PDT shows, well, it shows a series. Anyhow steam is fine on 8, 8.1 so I'd look at prior discussions about steam and that code. My son had trouble with Steam and that antivirus so he changed that. Yes there was some tweaks to the AV but it's a tweak and we can do with another AV.
Collapse -
Something's screwy
by itsdigger / October 28, 2014 6:11 AM PDT

I have an 8.1 computer with Steam and also use Avast Free with no problems..

I'd uninstall Steam and reinstall it and be sure not to create a start up menu and just create an desktop icon...
I have Avast set in the Silent/Gaming mode...

Collapse -
by itsdigger / October 28, 2014 6:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Something's screwy

start up menu
should be....
start up folder

Collapse -
PS. I see why you couldn't find anything.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 28, 2014 6:34 AM PDT
Collapse -
Not solved yet
by JinxWuzHere / December 7, 2014 6:10 PM PST

I have now reinstalled Steam and also changed my antivirus to AVG instead of Avast. But still, icons keep moving, steam doesn't open up, and I get the error message with 0x0000005 parameters thing. Anyone has a clue?

Collapse -
There is another clue here
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 8, 2014 12:50 AM PST
In reply to: Not solved yet

The statement it worked after a reboot points to apps or heat. Although with heat it's usually a number of different errors so the owner is chasing ghosts.

You could boot, wait long enough for the issue then run a hijackthis log then read that to look for suspect items.

You could also move up your cleaning date to now. I do encounter folk that ask "What is canned air?" and then you know to get that done and off the suspect list.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?