Camcorders forum

General discussion

Steadicam video camera camcorder stabilizer???

by rshugg / May 16, 2006 12:02 PM PDT

Hi,

I was thinking about getting a inexpensive steadicam type of video camera stabilizer, can anyone recommend one for me? I was looking at the Butterfly 1000, has anybody used this one? If so, please let me know what you think or if you can recommend another low priced one that you have used I would appreciate it!

http://www.jmwenterprisesinc.com/videostabilizer/

Thanks - Rob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Steadicam video camera camcorder stabilizer???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Steadicam video camera camcorder stabilizer???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Why not just a normal tripod????
by whizkid454 / May 20, 2006 11:28 PM PDT
Collapse -
Tripod is not functional like a steadicam
by rshugg / May 28, 2006 10:28 PM PDT

Hi, thanks for your suggestion, although a tripod would give me a better way to hold my camcorder, I don't think it would give me the steadiness of a balanced steadicam type of video stabilizer.

Maybe a tripod with some sort of balancing apperatus attached to it might work?

- rob

Collapse -
A brick works too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 20, 2006 11:45 PM PDT

The issue of platform stability is widely documented and discussed but for years I would when no tripod was to be used tape a brick or other heavy object to the camera. The 1 to 5 pound wieght really helped.

Bob

Collapse -
Hmmm...
by rshugg / May 24, 2006 10:27 AM PDT
In reply to: A brick works too.

How would I mount the camera to it?

Thanks - rob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Ask the gaffer or rigman to do that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2006 11:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmmm...
Collapse -
steadicam
by drhiberd / May 24, 2006 4:35 PM PDT

You may want to try B & H. They have a good selection.
bhphotovideo.com

Collapse -
No steadicam at B&H???
by rshugg / May 30, 2006 6:21 AM PDT
In reply to: steadicam

Hey, thanks for the link, but I didn't see any steadicam stuff there, maybe I'm missing something?

thanks - rob

Collapse -
steadycam at B&H
by schwabbey / May 31, 2006 4:59 AM PDT
In reply to: No steadicam at B&H???
Collapse -
There are steadicams at B&H!!!
by rshugg / June 4, 2006 2:00 PM PDT
In reply to: steadycam at B&H

Hey, thanks for the link...that got me where I wanted to go.

Nice selection of steadicams, but some are a little too pricy for me, but something to look forward to down the road.

thanx - rob

Collapse -
Steadicam: An Idea worth Flirting With
by rosscbrown / May 24, 2006 4:49 PM PDT

Steadicam is not only about counterbalancing the camera but is also about separating the camera from the operator - hence why professional Steadicam rigs cost so friggin' much.

However, the benefits of a counterweight are very visible.

Try this link for some DIY inspiration: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/steadycam/

Best of Luck

Regards,
Ross.

Collapse -
Thanks for the steadicam link...
by rshugg / May 27, 2006 9:11 AM PDT

Hey, thanks for the link, that site was very informative about stabilizing cameras and it was cool that he did it with commonly available parts, but I was interested in something a little more professional looking and the one at the link below is adjustable to match the weight of different cameras.

http://www.jmwenterprisesinc.com/videostabilizer/

Thanks - rob

Collapse -
Think versatility, mobility and stability
by Quad-Pods.com / November 15, 2007 12:53 PM PST

What good is a device that is limited in its overall uses? If you're doing Hollywood that's one thing, but videography these days requires a lot more than a one trick pony. I wanted a video camera stabilizer that could do a lot of tricks. I own a Quad Pod All in One. Its got amazing versatility so you can use it on a tripod when needed, quick release off to go steady handheld, switch to swivel pod mode for lenthy shoots, all fast on the fly. I can mount 2 video cameras to it or 1 video and 1 still camera. It's very mobile and goes just about anywhere unlike steady cams. I make more money with it too. Not only is it versatile and mobile its very steady via 4 point stabilization.

Collapse -
video camera stabilizer !!!
by peterfrida / March 10, 2010 4:58 AM PST

I just wondering Enyone tried to make kompass stille nedle point stabilizer instad of using ujoints and gimball ??

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?