Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Statin drugs lower respiratory death risk

by EdH / April 9, 2007 8:53 PM PDT

This is interesting...

LINK

People who use statin drugs are less likely to die of influenza and chronic bronchitis, according to a study that shows yet another unexpected benefit of the cholesterol-lowering medications.

Their study of more than 76,000 people showed that those who had taken statins for at least 90 days had a much lower risk of dying from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease or COPD, the technical name for emphysema and chronic bronchitis.

Patients on statins also had a lower risk of dying from influenza or pneumonia, the researchers reported Monday.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Statin drugs lower respiratory death risk
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Statin drugs lower respiratory death risk
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Thanks, one of the pills I'm taking now is a Satin - Zocor
by John Robie / April 10, 2007 1:12 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) Then I'm even more glad I take them.
by caktus / April 10, 2007 1:19 PM PDT
Collapse -
For cholesterol?
by EdH / April 10, 2007 1:30 PM PDT

I've considered taking them because they are reputed to help with MS, but since it's not an official MS treatment I can't get a prescription. My cholesterol is not bad at all, in spite of the fact that I eat all the "wrong" things.

Maybe I'll pursue it though.

--Ed, the cartoonist who thinks he is a thinker!

Collapse -
Oh, yeah! For cholesterol.
by caktus / April 10, 2007 3:12 PM PDT
In reply to: For cholesterol?

Perhaps the Doc had a particular health reason in your case for not prescribing it. If not, I'm sure I would pursue it. There may be a good chance of getting a Doc some where to do it.

Seems more often than not folks, even pros in their fields, are just guessing or have no clue at all. Along the way I've learned that when it comes to my health to almost never take any one opinion as gospel.

In school an RN and a Doc swore up and down that I must be on drugs when I twice collapsed during track. Later that day I collapsed on a city bus on the way home from school. An Ambulance took me to the ER and the problem turned out to be blood poisoning apparently caused by some kind of spider venom, and that I was on my way out of this world.

Following a knee injury, the boarding school RN kept swearing that I was faking. Until the next week when "she risked" as she put it, wasting a Doc's time having him examined me. Turned out I needed surgery in order to walk again. Also, surgery would never be good enough because of the delay.

Few years later the knee repair ragged out and Doc's from here to Japan kept me on crutches and aspirin for a year because, as they all put it "surgery was not necessary" A year later I found one Doc who said only surgery would fix it, and it did.

Years later, again the knee repair ragged out and after an exploratory surgery two VA Doc's said I'd never walk on it. A different Doc put me in a leg brace and I've been walking ever since, though with accasional help of a cane.

When I was becoming totally crippled and unable to work or care for myself, many MD's where talking crap about, and urging me to stay away from Chiropractor's. BTW, I've only heard MD's talk crap about Chiropract[ors], but not Chiroprat[ic]. I figure they must have been putting their ego's head of my health because regular spinal adjustments kept me able to work my butt off for years.

Two said that a Statin wouldn't lower my cholesterol. The third Doc sail it would, and it did.

I think more often than not pro's just don't want to admit that they may be wrong. And that dosn't do anyone any good. Sad

Collapse -
I didn't really push it very hard...
by EdH / April 10, 2007 8:20 PM PDT

Just brought it up in passing. But maybe it's worth asking about again.
I'm not sure what would be involved in justifying a prescription, re the insurance company.

Collapse -
It seems with insurance Co's.....
by caktus / April 11, 2007 7:19 AM PDT

we usually get less than we pay for. But it also seems their starting to fall in line behind preventive med. Hope yours is one of the latter.

Collapse -
I didn't push it, either.
by Angeline Booher / April 11, 2007 9:04 AM PDT

My doctor made the decision.

Though I had followed the diet that was prescribed for my husband for at least 20 years, and got plenty of exercise, my cholesterol continued to rise. So my doctor put me on Lipitor. (Which, by the way, is going generic within a couple of years.)

One has to have liver function test before taking it, and regular tests from then on.

Assuming your doctor does periodic blood panels, it would seem your doctor would have brought up statin use for you if it was indicated. If not, I'd sure ask for panels, and be told the status of your cholesterol, if it is not contra-indicated.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
But cholesterol is not my problem...
by EdH / April 11, 2007 9:49 AM PDT
LINK

Statins, or cholesterol-lowering drugs, may be effective in treating MS (multiple sclerosis), Alzheimer's and osteoporosis, say some experts. Many are calling statins the new 'aspirin', but without so many side-effects (aspirin, as well as being a pain-killer, has many other benefits).

The first clinical evidence has been produced by scientists at the Medical University of S Carolina, USA, that statins can be effective in the treatment of MS.

Collapse -
(NT) Does it work for you?
by duckman / April 11, 2007 9:57 AM PDT
Collapse -
It wouldn't be the first time.....
by Angeline Booher / April 11, 2007 11:46 PM PDT

.... that medications targeted at one problem was later found to be effective in others.

I note you said this was the first study. Hopefully others will soon follow, and they will echo the results.

(Sorry I misunderstood your point.)

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Statin drugs lower respiratory death risk: study
by ArianeFlorence / March 17, 2014 9:30 PM PDT

A study of more than 76,000 people showed that those who took statins for at least 90 days had a much smaller risk of disease or COPD chronic obstructive pulmonary given, the technical name for emphysema and chronic bronchitis.

Patients treated with statins had a lower die of the flu or pneumonia risk, researchers reported Monday.

Statins - which include Pfizer Inc. s '10 billion per year Lipitor, Bristol-Myers Squibb Co. 's Pravachol and Zocor from Merck and Co.' s Inc. - are the best selling drugs in the world, taken by millions to reduce the risk of heart attack.

The new study supports past year suggested that statins may help patients with avian influenza H5N1, which some studies suggest kills by causing an overreaction of the immune system storm called cytokine theory.
Watch for more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFE6aiAv1ig

Collapse -
Statin drugs lower respiratory death risk
by meerakannan / November 4, 2014 1:28 PM PST

Statin drugs useful to reduce cholesterol levels and heart disease. Peoples who using it had lower risk of dying from different disease.
You should talk the benefits and risks of statins with your doctor before you start the medication.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!