I have a few questions to see if I can help diagnose your issue.
1. How is your monitor hooked up? DVI or VGA?
2. What is the length of the cable, and is it relatively new?
3. Is the cable secure on both ends with the prongs screwed in?
4. Is your cable properly shielded or next to the power cord?
5. What is the refresh rate setting on your monitor and video card (Do they match?)
6. If you change the refresh rate, do the scrolling "waves" move faster or slower?
so I have my hp pavilion laptop connected to my syncmaster 226nw monitor and Im getting these static waves rolling upwards on the screen. It's only noticeable on dark backgrounds. Any way to make this go away?