Question

Static IP networking help

I have a 10 pc and printer network connected via a cnet CNSH-2402g swith. Each pc and printer has its own static IP address 192.168.0.X. We just had a broadband connection installed and I have a static ip from my provider. I hooked up the modem to the switch. If I use the staic IP info I can see all the network pcs, but cannot connect to the internet. If I change my settings to DCPH I can connect to the internet but can see the other pcs. Any advice would be helpfull...thanks

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Static IP networking help
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Static IP networking help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
DHCP

I am going to guess you actually have a router rather than a modem since something is giving out the DHCP addresses to you.

I would just switch everything to DHCP, the ip's seldom change, if you need them to never change you can static DHCP assignments in the router.

If you really want to stay with static you must change the router IP address to match the range you are using. You also need to change the static settings in your PC;s to use the router as the gateway and maybe the DNS depending how you set things up

- Collapse -
Answer
The CNSH-2402G is a switch.

And to get this to work without a router is going to be costly as you pay your ISP for more internet addresses.

Can you share why you don't have a router?

CNET Forums