Computer Help forum

General discussion

Static IP Address

Hi there Happy

I have regular internet and live in Los Angeles and in a few weeks time a friend is visiting from Europe... He asked if I had a Static IP Address since he works with servers etc. I know the internet connection I have gives me random IP addresses... and it seems to be too much trouble to get a business account in order to obtain a Static IP.
My question is this.... I've done a little research and from what I gather... if one doesn't turn off the computer or connection to the internet then the IP address remains the same. Is that true?
Is there a way I can get a Static IP address.... A friend of mine mentioned going to hotels... since most have a business office one can rent.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time
Niki

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Static IP Address
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Static IP Address
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Get a router?

In reply to: Static IP Address

Same as a hotel. A router will assign an IP address to each PC based on the MAC address of the NIC in the PC. And it will not change.

Collapse -
Sadly

In reply to: Get a router?

Sadly not all routers support static DHCP. Unless something has changed recently, the only way to get this option on Linksys routers is to install a custom firmware such as DD-WRT or Tomato, assuming your particular router is supported.

Collapse -
Well. . .

In reply to: Sadly

When I set up my network I set two computers to never change IP addresses by assigning their MAC address to the IP address. It's been like that for years. Other visiting PCs might plug in to the router and be assigned an IP address that can change from time to time. But my main PC and my server has never changed. I forget what it's called but it works.

This is using a Linksys WRT350N and a D-link DIR-655. My old Linksys (I forget the model) would do the same.

Collapse -
Maybe they've added it

In reply to: Well. . .

Maybe they've added it in more recent firmware revisions, but for the longest time it was a very conspicuous omission. There was absolutely no way to control what IP address was assigned to a given system.

I only buy routers that are supported by custom firmwares like DD-WRT these days. I figure it helps futureproof them by providing updates long after the manufacturer has lost interest in the device. Something that is a real problem with D-Link hardware.

Collapse -
I've two older routers

In reply to: Sadly

Both have a setting to enable or disable DHCP. One is from US Robotics and the other is a 3Com. I've not seen 'em all but I've not seen one yet without the ability to disable/enable DHCP. You even get to set the range of addresses to deal out in the ones I've been around. This makes sense as some devices are more easily managed when assigned static IP addresses....printers, wireless APs, and other network attached hardware that are accessible via web browser, etc. I wouldn't consider buying a router that wouldn't allow both static and dynamic

Collapse -
Is there an objective here??

If you're looking for a portable static IP address that automatically connects you to the internet from anywhere, it doesn't work that way. On a local network, you can give yourself an IP address as long as it's within the usable range within it. Your ISP will be using an address within a different range and you are routed to it. When roaming, it's usually preferable to allow your address to be automatically assigned by a server when you connect. This ensures you are within the right range of numbers and not in conflict with another device on the local network. Unless you have need to be such as a domain server, a permanent IP address isn't going to be of value.

Collapse -
No Guarantee

Leaving your computer or modem on does not guarantee that your IP address will remain the same. It's all up to your ISP. Your IP address is leased to your modem for a given amount of time. Your modem must renew it periodically, at which point you could end up with the same or a different IP address.

You will probably have to pay a little extra to your ISP for a static address if needed. I'm not too sure about the hotel route; it doesn't seem feasible to me. Getting a router won't help, since your friend likely needs a static IP relative to a computer outside of your network. Perhaps if we knew for what application your friend needs it, we could help out more.

Collapse -
This sounds weird.

How good a friend is he/she? hehe. Just thinking out loud.

Collapse -
Agree.

In reply to: This sounds weird.

This does sound a bit strange. Hopefully the OP finds out exactly what this "friend" is intending.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.