Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Static IP..."Acquiring network address" nonstop! Still works

by MasterofAvalon / May 5, 2006 5:26 AM PDT

I have my router set to give my machine a specific static ip address. on my machine, i disabled dhcp service and set my card to use the IP assigned to it, as well as the dns.

while i am able to connect fine and browse, it keeps saying "acquiring network address" over and over again; it will not say it's connected, even though i am!

the issue is resolved if i go to "network connections" and hit F5 to refresh, but it's so annoying.

anyone have any ideas? is there some kind of internal setting or windows patch? i tried winsockfix, no luck. thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Static IP..."Acquiring network address" nonstop! Still works
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Static IP..."Acquiring network address" nonstop! Still works
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If it's working...

Just hide or disable the activity icon and don't let it bother you.

Collapse -
Funny
by Themisive / May 5, 2006 5:49 AM PDT
In reply to: If it's working...

Though I don't use a router - yet - it definitely looks like there is some sort of incompatibility between the address you put in and the router, though if you can use it, it can't be too bad.

It may well be worth reading the manual again, as they do tend to give a range of accepted addresses, and it may well be that your address is in a secondary range not the primary range.

Collapse -
Question

Where have you disabled the DHCP service in the router itself or in Windows.
If you have not disabled the DHCP in router disable it and see.
BTW why did you have to assign a static ip in the first place.
gopi

Collapse -
dhcp client disabled in windows
by MasterofAvalon / May 5, 2006 1:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Question

I assigned a static IP in order to remote desktop to my machine.

i disabled the service in windows. i left dhcp on the router because other clients are not static, i only have two that are static.

it seems like an internal notification issue with windows. as i said, if i go to networks connections and hit F5 to refresh, it displays the normal connection icon.

i believe my ip is in the normal range. the range starts at 192.168.1.100, mine is .100 and .101 (for the other machine).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?