Laptops forum

General discussion

Static electricity is locking up my laptop!

by x1800yolk / October 16, 2007 1:20 PM PDT

I have a problem. With my laptop. Sometimes, when I plug in a USB cord, Windows will freeze up and I will have to do a hard reset. I found out that it was static electricity today because when I went to plug in the cord, all I did was touch the metal from the usb cable to the metal outside the port, and it locked up. I called the company that made it, and they had me take apart the laptop and remove and reinsert the RAM, but that didn't fix it (although it seemed to help for awhile). Here is my setup:

Sager NP5760 (Clevo M570U) Laptop
Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit
Nvidia 7900 512mb graphics card
2gb RAM
Core 2 Duo @ 2ghz

not sure what other important info I should include, so if someone would like to know anything else, feel free to ask! I would really appreciate someone's help. Thanks, Brian

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Static electricity is locking up my laptop!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Static electricity is locking up my laptop!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Toshiba and others had such issues.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2007 11:25 PM PDT

Toshiba finally issued a recall for theirs. Static is not kind to electronics so you must control your environment.

This means static treatments such as diluted Downey spray on the carpet, conductive surfaces and more. If it's truly static you may have a difficult time getting them to acknowledge it's overly sensitive.

My background in electronics design also included testing for ESD protection and that the product was not upset by discharges to exposed metal edges. While you have an issue the problem will be showing it as a bug that must be repaired as well as that name that isn't known for reacting to such reports. All I can offer is this is not something a consumer would correct on their own. An electronics designer of the right background could help but if the problem is truly bad design only so much can be done.

-> Does it do this on ALL ports or just one?

Bob

Collapse -
all
by x1800yolk / October 17, 2007 5:03 AM PDT

it does it on all of the ports. It's made by a small company, so I sorta sacrificed for speed in some ares, component design being one of them. Thanks, Brian

Collapse -
Just to be clear.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 17, 2007 5:53 AM PDT
In reply to: all

If it is a discharge to the USB "shell" I (wearing my electronics design hat) would add a small wire from each shell and to where I felt the "ground" was. Modifying the machine may void the warranty but for me this is usually something I do for out of warranty work.

Bob

Collapse -
warranty stuff
by x1800yolk / October 17, 2007 8:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Just to be clear.

The Sager company doesn't really care what you do with your laptop. Since they asked me to take apart the laptop, and customer service doesn't void the warranty, then I'll be ok opening it up. If I can find pictures of the inside (the manual comes with pictures of it, believe it or not) then I'll post them on my website and link to them. Thanks for the help, Brian

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.