Resolved Question

static electric shock after cleaning the TV foot question

Hi!

I have a LG oled 55" TV with a wide big aluminium foot, today i forgot to turn it off when i dried dust of my bench.

I used a cloath and cleaned dust from the table it stand on and on the TV foot itself. (I always turn everything off when i dry the TV screen itself) but today was only a quick dust clean on the bench.

I got a static electric shock when i used the cloath on the TV foot.

I have readed that human static electric shock can fry a PC or any other electric components if you get it while plugging in a USB storage or something.

In this case i got it while touching the foot, but could this lead into the TV electronic itself and cause issues? What about the other stuff that is connected to the TV in the hdmi ports like PC and console? In this case the PC was connected to TV but it was turned off.

Could that in the theory harm the TV itself and all the gadgets connected to it?

Cheers.

Discussion is locked
Dessireek has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer
Follow
Reply to: static electric shock after cleaning the TV foot question
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: static electric shock after cleaning the TV foot question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

Best Answer

- Collapse -
While the answer is yes.

If the designs are good the case, foot and such should be a ground and designed to take multiple hits from human rated ESD (electro static discharges.) If you were knock unconscious and you found a smolder crater, then well, then I expect damage.

I wish I could write authoritatively no but I can't guess if they followed good ESD design practices but in most cases it will be fine.

- Collapse -
Lg oled c8

Hey, the TV is a lg oled c8, it have aluminium foot and i think the chassis around is aluminium too. So the mount into TV is plastic but the foot itself is in contact with the chassis so i think the static electric got into the chassis as well, as you say it’s all depend on how well the TV is isolated from this.

So if it’s bad isolated from this issue the question is if it goes trough the Hole system and moving into unpowered units that is connected to the TV from hdmi cables?

I dont think this would be the last time someone toutch the foot and get a small static shock

- Collapse -
I believe you are worrying too much.

Exposed metal should be ground and where we want static discharges to go. Unless there is some failure, I would not worry.

CNET Forums

Forum Info