Speakeasy forum

General discussion

State of the Democratic party

by Mark5019 / February 1, 2006 10:41 PM PST

During an election campaign, political operatives are fond of seeking to induce in their opponent a negative "defining moment." That is to say a highly publicized moment when their opponent portrays everything that is wrong with him. In 2004, John Kerry provided that moment when he said he voted for the $87 billion before he voted against it.

Surely, at the State of the Union address the Democratic Party provided such a moment when, as has already been well commented on by others, they wildly applauded President Bush's statement that Congress failed to pass Social Security reform last year.

As the party of reactionary inertia -- as the party that not only doesn't have any solutions to today's dangers and problems but denies that such problems exist -- the Democrats on the floor of the House Tuesday night demonstrated a flawless, intuitive sense of its new, disfunctional self
The Democrats' wild applause on behalf of doing nothing was more than a merely tactical political blunder. It displayed a deeper truth about them.

If one recalls, last year, the official position of the Democratic Party was not only that they opposed President Bush's Social Security reform, they argued there was no crisis -- no major problem that required rectification.

(In fact, Social Security has $4 trillion of unfunded liability, and if major changes are not made quickly, we will only be able to pay the retired baby boomers about 70 cents for each dollar of promised benefits.)

Social Security is the single most iconic Democratic Party issue of the past hundred years -- the Democrats created Social Security in 1935, and have won countless elections since then by beating up Republicans for allegedly not supporting it. It was the Democratic Party's sacred virgin. They would lie for it, die for it, steal for it, demagogue for it -- but never cheer its demise or harm, even sarcastically.

http://www.townhall.com/opinion/columns/tonyblankley/2006/02/02/184896.html

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: State of the Democratic party
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: State of the Democratic party
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
As somebody already pointed out
by bulldogzerofive / February 1, 2006 10:59 PM PST

What he actually said:

"Congress did not act last year on my proposal to save Social Security..." That is a far cry from your interpretation of "the President allowed that the Congress ?FAILED? to pass ?SOCIAL SECURITY? reform."

That is also a far cry from showing that this is the party of reactionary inertia as you claim it is.

However, I am sure that the Republican party's machine is going to be successful in propogating the version of events as you describe them, just as the Democratic party's machine have in the past distorted events to portray the Republicans as the party of reactionary inertia.

Collapse -
and i guess the laughing
by Mark5019 / February 1, 2006 11:06 PM PST

and fist pumping was OK
yup sad and when the voters kick them out I'm sure they will be comforted by the lack of responsibility they showed.
very sad

Collapse -
As if...
by bulldogzerofive / February 1, 2006 11:29 PM PST

As if the Republican Party has never done the same thing.

Again, in light of what he actually said, it becomes more understandable. Remember that these are people who do not trust or respect the President, just as the Republican party did not trust or respect Clinton and often behaived in a similar fashion during his speeches. Granted, what they did didn't play well on the cameras, but I really don't see that much of a transgression here. It will be turned into one in the media, sure.

Anyway, I am taking off for the evening have a good one.

Collapse -
and as clinto proved
by Mark5019 / February 1, 2006 11:58 PM PST
In reply to: As if...

he wasnt trutworthy i rest my case.
remember he was a liar impeached and a womanizer while in office.

Collapse -
Actually
by TONI H / February 1, 2006 11:22 PM PST

I've come to the conclusion that the media is graphically editing pictures of almost all of the Dems anymore to brush out the shovels they are carrying around as part of their normal attire.....shovel is used to conveniently keep digging that hole they insist on jumping into.

TONI

Collapse -
Much as I hate those internet acronyms....
by EdH / February 2, 2006 12:21 AM PST
In reply to: Actually

LOL!

Collapse -
Why did you pick out that quote?
by EdH / February 2, 2006 12:19 AM PST

It was NOT a far cry at all, as I demonstrated.

And it is true that the Democrats have shown little if any interest in reforming Social Security. Facts is facts.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.