Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

State bugets in general

by Willy / July 1, 2009 12:59 AM PDT

For some states things just got tougher and no telling when the sun will come out. Their budgets aren't even close to being meant and under such circumstances, the jackals come out. In the state of Ohio, the idea of expanded gambling of various kinds have risen to become part of budget solution. In other ways, cutting costs and/or lessening funding has also been suggested/proposed. Whatever the reason, these budgets are cutting into the bone of social and community based pgms. that have been well liked and/or proven to be a basis for a good community. Things like parks, libraries, and schools, etc. are feeling or getting the view of the cutting axe.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090701/ap_on_re_us/us_state_budgets

Why? various reasons, but most point to job loss, housing, the stock market/loan debacle and flat out greed. However, do you see anyone(or many) falling or taking the blame. -----Willy Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: State bugets in general
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: State bugets in general
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
They always cut first, what we want the most.
by James Denison / July 1, 2009 2:34 AM PDT

That way they can force us into voting for new taxes. If it didn't work, they wouldn't keep doing it. This current economic situation is a good chance to cut back to what really matters and toss out local government wasteful programs of lesser value.

Collapse -
These will inevitably end up as tax increases
by Steven Haninger / July 1, 2009 6:57 AM PDT

of one form or another. And when the good times come back and the economy rolls, governments roll too...in money. Why? Because taxes and fee increases imposed during slow economic times are not returned to their previous structures when times improve. It's a ratcheting effect and we're all caught in the jaws of it. Happy

Collapse -
Tell me about it
by Diana Forum moderator / July 1, 2009 10:27 PM PDT

Reagan cut a lot of deductions for the average person because he said we didn't need them since taxes were being cut so drastically. Then, when taxes went up, the deductions were still gone.

Diana

Collapse -
I wouldn't pin it on Reagan
by Steven Haninger / July 1, 2009 10:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Tell me about it

Look at programs that get cut or are picked up at varying levels of government. If the fed cuts a program and states pick it up, your state taxes go up. If the fed adopts something new that states were carrying, you may pay higher federal taxes but the state may not reduce taxes at that level. They keep the money. How many "temporary" taxes have you seen at local level that become permanent or are only given back partially when they expire. Beware of the phrase "no new taxes" because that's one way of marketing a plan to keep these temporary taxes in place.

Collapse -
You're both right
by Willy / July 1, 2009 11:40 PM PDT

However, I find it the "norm" that a tax once on the books rarely goes away. Any cuts could very well become part of another package, so funding continues or basically so.

If state parks say get less funding, then any user fees become greater and/or now become a fee. More schools are using "pay for play" for sports pgms. Local libraries have more reduced hrs. or lose a day. Let's not forget that smaller communities may become speed traps or more intense enforcement of traffic laws, etc.. Even the dang parking meters raise their cost.

FYI- In a personal note, since I now have a heart condition, I qualify for re/employment help. The letter they sent me clearly states besides forms, you best keep your appts. as state budgets are tight/reduced. In other words, if I didn't show-up, I'll be dropped like a lead brick. I did show. Wink -----Willy Shocked

Collapse -
Well, you'd better show up for those heart related
by Steven Haninger / July 2, 2009 1:43 AM PDT
In reply to: You're both right

appointments or failure to show up might not be voluntary. Happy

Collapse -
Paperwork
by Willy / July 2, 2009 11:35 AM PDT

I get that awful nagging feeling of being, "a dollar short and a day late" to qualify for benefits. Paperwork, what a mess. -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!