Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Startup Sound

I know this may sound really stupid, but I was in Tech Ed. today and we have Windows NT 4 there. I became so obsessed with the startup sound, so when I got home I looked everywhere to download it. Does anyone know where to find it? Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Startup Sound
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Startup Sound
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
See if this works

In reply to: Startup Sound

Go to start/control panel/sounds and audio devices. Double click on it and go to the "sounds" tab. Scroll down to where is says "start windows". Click on it to highlight it and that will open up a dropdown menu that will give you a whole bundle of choices.

Collapse -
Windows NT 4 Startup Sound

In reply to: Startup Sound

The reply by Roddy32 gets you started, but you need the NT 4 sound first. Take a floppy with you the next time you go to Tech Ed. I'm not familiar with NT 4 so you may have to get help from someone in Tech Ed. This is what you need to do. Open Windows Explorer. Expand the C-Drive, scroll down to the Windows folder, open the Windows folder. Now scroll down to the "Media" folder, open it. Look for the "Start up Sound Wav". It should be called something like, Windows NT 4 Start, Start Windows, or something that tells you it is the start up sound wav. Put the floppy in the computer, Put your cursor over the start up sound wav. Right click and hold down the mouse button. Drag the start up sound wav over to the A-Drive. When the A-Drive is highlighted release the mouse button. You should have an option to Copy, or Move the file. Click the copy option. This will copy the sound wav to your floppy, and also leave it on that computer. Now take your floppy home and put it in your computer. Open Windows explorer, click your C-Drive, scroll down to the windows folder, open it. Go up and click on your A-Drive. The sound wav file should be in the right window pane. Use the scroll bar and scroll down until you can see the Media folder. Go to the sound wav file, right click and hold, drag it over the the media folder, release the mouse button and copy it into the media folder. Remove the floppy and label it Windows NT 4 Start up sound wav. Now you will have it for future use if needed. Now open control panel, double click the Sounds And Devices icon. Scroll down to the start windows event and click it. Then click the Browse Button. This should open the Media folder. Find the sound wav you just put there, and click it, then click "OK". Your sound wav should show up in the Sounds title bar. Click "OK". Re-Start your computer. It should now play the Windows NT 4 sound wav when Windows starts. One more thing. You may want to rename the file on the floppy. If it's not already called Windows NT 4 Start up, I would change it to that so you know what it is. To rename it, when you have it in the right window pane in Windows Explorer right click the file. Scroll down to rename and click it. Now type in the new name and click ok. Now the file will have a name that you know what the file is. Hope this helps you out.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.