MacBooks forum

General discussion

Startup Disk Fail. Need Help badly!

by eric8545 / April 17, 2010 10:48 AM PDT

I partitioned windows XP onto my Mac HD a few days ago. It worked beautifully until last night. Whenever I booted to it, it stuck at the welcome screen for 10 minutes, and was really buggy upon startup.

This morning, my macbook pro (bought in August '09) upon turning on automatically boots to windows XP. No amount of holding "c" or "Alt" will bring up rEFIt or boot camp selection pane. And the kicker is, the windows XP partition is completely corrupted.

Here's what happens now:

1)Turn Macbook Pro on, hold down "c" or "Alt"
2)White background for ~ten minutes, nothing happens
3)After a long time, boots to black screen and says "Startup Disk Error... Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.

I'm pretty sure its trying to boot to Windows XP partition, because Ctrl+Alt+Del is not a Mac OS X command... But I can't boot to my Mac OS X partition.

Help! Thanks in advance

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Startup Disk Fail. Need Help badly!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Startup Disk Fail. Need Help badly!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
to Clarify
by eric8545 / April 17, 2010 10:51 AM PDT

What I want to do is either Boot directly to Mac OS X so I can delete the XP partition

Somehow delete the XP partition from outside Mac OS X, so I boot to Mac naturally.

Collapse -
by Jimmy Greystone / April 17, 2010 11:21 AM PDT

Well, for starters, holding down "C" only works if you have a bootable CD/DVD in the drive. And holding down "Alt" doesn't do anything. You want "Option" to get the EFI bootloader. That should let you manually select the Mac OS X partition to boot from.

Hard to say what happened, but I wouldn't be surprised if some malware screwed up boot camp, which will likely be a real mess to untangle. Personally, I'd just not even bother, and reinstall. You left out what version of OS X you're running, so either do an Archive and Reinstall for versions pre-10.6, or let the 10.6 installer do its thing (because you have no real choice in the matter) and just start over.

Collapse -
by eric8545 / April 17, 2010 2:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Well

What I meant to say is that I hold down the Option key, not Alt

Nothing changes. It automatically boots to windows XP, bypassing the option to pick a startup disk. How do I manually delete the XP partition?

Collapse -
Get out your OS X DVD
by Jimmy Greystone / April 17, 2010 11:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry

Get out your OS X DVD, boot from that, then just reinstall OS X. If all else fails, take it to the nearest Apple Store if there's one within a reasonable driving distance.

Collapse -
Steady there Jimmy,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 18, 2010 6:00 AM PDT

the Alt and the Option keys are one and the same.

Collapse -
by Jimmy Greystone / April 18, 2010 7:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Steady there Jimmy,

Well, I don't have a Mac keyboard handy at the moment, or when I was posting, so just making sure. In any case, there clearly seems to be something else wrong if even manually selecting the Mac partition doesn't help. Only time I've ever seen that happen is when the drive itself is pretty much toast, which would probably be the next step if repartitioning it doesn't have any positive effect.

Collapse -
(NT) Agreed, something else is certainly going on
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 18, 2010 9:56 PM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?