General discussion

Startup difficulty

I'm running XP Home Edition and when I click Start/All Programs and try to open Accessories, it usually stops at Dell Accessories and then hangs. I can only restart by powering off. I've tried safe mode, but that doesn't help either. Hope someone can help me solve this irritating problem!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Startup difficulty
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Startup difficulty
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Sorry no.
- Collapse -
Bob, very sorry..

...to have omitted so many details. My machine is an Inspiron 530, Intel core 2 CPU, 4400 @ 2GHZ, 2GB RAM with Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit operating system. I hope this is the information you require and I apologise for the need for red letters.
Bill

- Collapse -
Did you do this?

I think this -> http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6132_102-0.html?messageID=3290594&tag=forums06;posts#3290594 would be a good idea.

To fix this manually I might consider browsing to the folder that holds the Accessories menu to delete that's there. But that's a problem. Unless you are great at how Windows works you might not know where that folder is.

Why I'd do that is then I could delete the items in Accessories and then create new shortcuts to what was there.

Remember there is no tool I know to do that. And creating shortcuts is a basic Windows skill.
Bob

- Collapse -
(NT) Thanks - I'll try that.
- Collapse -
I don't usually recommend this but you have better

luck by posting your question the DELL Forum.

VAPCMD

CNET Forums