Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

startup and then shutdown in 30s - 1min 30s?

by toyotaman / May 18, 2005 11:31 AM PDT

when i push the power button on my computer it will startup for 30s - 1min 30s then it will shut down. it wont allow me to start it up again until it sat for 3-4mins. then it would do the same thing again. does anyone have anysuggestions for this? please help thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: startup and then shutdown in 30s - 1min 30s?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: startup and then shutdown in 30s - 1min 30s?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Most common? An overtaxed power supply.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 18, 2005 11:49 AM PDT

But without details this is all I can offer besides a possible overheating CPU that triggers the thermal protection.

Bob

Collapse -
details?
by toyotaman / May 18, 2005 11:57 AM PDT

what details do you need?

Collapse -
Toyota, Detail...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 18, 2005 12:10 PM PDT
In reply to: details?

Whenever posting questions on these forums, please give us as much information as possible about your computer. Depending on your issue, we might need the operating system, processor speed, amount of RAM installed, brand name of the computer, (if there is one), and any EXACT error messages you are receiving, plus any other information you think might be helpful. In your case, it would nice to know the age of the computer. The more information you give us, the better informed our answer will be.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Tip
by Stan Chambers / May 18, 2005 12:11 PM PDT
In reply to: details?

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem.
Also the age of the machine may be a clue. Any upgrades or changes to the basic configuration, ie, video card, memory, pci cards, power supply (size), etc. And as always, your operating system.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Sorry, didn't mean to duplicate.
by Stan Chambers / May 18, 2005 12:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Tip
Collapse -
details
by toyotaman / May 18, 2005 12:39 PM PDT

i bought the computer 2-3 years ago, the ram installed is 256mb. i am operating windows XP home edition. i dont get any errors because the computer screen is blank it hasnt started to load. the power supply out put is 400W max. im not to sure about the processor speed. i hope this helps.

Collapse -
processor
by toyotaman / May 18, 2005 1:18 PM PDT
In reply to: details

the processor is 1.4 ghz

Collapse -
Small details.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 18, 2005 10:16 PM PDT
In reply to: processor

Is the CPU's heatsink attached?

Is it clean?

Bob

Collapse -
cpu
by toyotaman / May 18, 2005 10:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Small details.

would the heatsink be a silver bar coming from the cpu?

Collapse -
Could be.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 18, 2005 10:40 PM PDT
In reply to: cpu

Let's see if google has pictures?

http://images.google.com/images?q=HEATSINK

I like the one with the cat in it.

Next you get to see if it's on proper and not full of dust and lint. Finally you get to test if the cooling fan on the heatsink is running at a good speed.

Bob

Collapse -
heatsink
by toyotaman / May 19, 2005 7:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Could be.

the heatsink is clean and the fan is running properly

Collapse -
No offense.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2005 7:53 AM PDT
In reply to: heatsink

But given how long it took to get here, you may want to take it to the repair shop. Not everyone can repair a PC.

Bob

Collapse -
repair
by toyotaman / May 19, 2005 8:06 AM PDT
In reply to: No offense.

i know lots about the pc and i dont wanna pay for it to get repaired so yeah id like to try it myself but i dont know why it is shutting down on boot up

Collapse -
Again...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2005 9:20 AM PDT
In reply to: repair

No offense, but to take this many steps and ask what a heatsink is, is not a good sign. You might not belong inside this machine.

Bob

Collapse -
i know
by toyotaman / May 19, 2005 9:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Again...

i wasnt thinking at the time i had alot of things going on around me so yeah i thought it was thats block under the fan and i just need to know what triggers the computer to turn off because the heatsink is clean and the fan works

Collapse -
Best of luck in repairing this machine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2005 10:07 AM PDT
In reply to: i know

With this many exchanges and still no inventory of the machine, this will take far too many exchanges.

Seek local repair.

Bob

Collapse -
no inventory?
by toyotaman / May 19, 2005 10:16 AM PDT

no inventory of this machine? whats this mean? i honestly dont care how long this takes. i just want to do it

Collapse -
Difference Between Processors
by bballplaya91 / May 15, 2008 2:05 AM PDT
In reply to: processor

What is the difference between a Intel Pentium D processor and a Intel Pentium E processor. im trying to build a computer and the motherboard i want to get supports Pentium D so im trying to figure out if it supports Pentium E.

Collapse -
"im trying to build a computer and the motherboard i want to
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 15, 2008 3:33 AM PDT

"im trying to build a computer and the motherboard i want to get..."

I'd just make a new post and tell the forum what motherboard this is.

Collapse -
Recap.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2005 12:02 PM PDT

Hints were given about supplying details. With each post this passage is in red letters:

"Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem."

Since you didn't write much and couldn't identify the heatsink or research it a little (hint: google.com) I fear that it is best you get it repaired just like you did before.

Some, when faced with this will exclaim "What do you want to know?" The answer is everything. You didn't apply yourself and as such I feel the need for this one to go to the shop.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!