Mac OS forum

General discussion

Startup

I am using an iMac G4 3.3 .OS 10.2.8. I use Cox.Net for my for my internet connection and airport. Often when I first start up my disk sounds like it is stuck and i hear a sound like when there is a scratch on a CD. After a few tries my computer starts up. After this initial start up I can shut down and startup without any trouble except when I shut down overnight.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Startup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Startup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Noise

In reply to: Startup

IMO, you should start looking for someplace to back up all your data to and then replace the HD.
HD's are not supposed to make "noises" other than the normal sounds of the heads positioning themselves on the platters. It may have something to do with heat, or lack thereof. After sitting all night, the initial start seems to be giving it trouble but once it has come up to speed, and is warmed up, the problem no longer exists.
My advice, back up ALL you data to an external drive and replace the HD with another, larger one.
Now would also be a good time to update the OS to 10.4(Tiger) or at least 10.3(Panther)

Good luck

P

Collapse -
Startup

In reply to: Noise

Thank you for your advice. I am ready to replace my hard drive but I am not sure how to go about it. Do I need to buy a new computer or can I replace the hard drive in my current computer? I have an iMac G4 build 6R73 which I bought 2 years ago.
Herb

Collapse -
Replace HD

In reply to: Startup

If this iMac is one of those with the Basketball type base, then I would not advise that you attempt changing out the HD yourself. Take it to an Apple Authorized Service Center and they will be happy to swap it out for you.
The iMac(G3) and the iMac G5 both had HD's that are fairly simple to change out. Unfortunately, not the white one with the floating screen.

P

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.