General discussion

Starting Over With XP

Hello, I would like to completely empty my hard drive and start all over. My computer has several problems that I cannot seem to fix or have fixed. I was just wondering if I could get some steps just to know where to start? Any help will be appreciated.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Starting Over With XP
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Starting Over With XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
reinstalling XP

Hi. To state the obvious but often overlooked, first thing you have to do is back up anything you don't want to lose. I did a reinstall recently as I had a scrambled boot record and I used recovery disks. These reverted to the manufacturers default settings including the XP OS. I found this convenient as I didn't have to go through the performance of reauthenticating with MS Hope this helps. Regards Stewart

- Collapse -
Its not a problem! ;-)

First of all, make sure to have a Startup Diskette!
insert the Startup diskette to the floopy disk drive, and restart your computer.

after the restart, wait until the Startup diskette will finish the commands, and then you will see :
1> Start with CD-Rom support...
2> Start without...

* Choose with

after its finished, you are gonna see:
A:/

type in there format c:
** it should appera "A:/format c:" -and press "Enter"
** now you are formating the hard drive

when you finish, take out the floopy diskette from the Floopy Drive, and insert your Win Xp into the CD-Rom drive..

restart your computer and you are gonna see :
"Press any key to boot from the cd-rom... " - Press any key!

now.. you all done, wait for the setup to finish!

hope it was helpull to you, notice me for more information.. take care Happy

p.s. for more information about it, here a link for you :
http://www.cyberwalker.net/columns/aug02/010802.html

- Collapse -
If you see FORMAT in the instructions, then that's odd.

At about step 5 we see how to partition. And we let XP's installer format. If one uses a DOS boot diskette this has been a road to upsetting a proper XP install.

After this step, we install drivers for motherboard, video, audio, modem and more. Microsoft doesn't do drivers for us.

Bob

- Collapse -
Dell Comp

I have a Dell Computer, I dont have a "Diskette" but I do have a CD-rom that says "Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" Is this the same thing?

P.S. Thanks to all that replyed!

- Collapse -
Since it's a Dell, check your documentation.

I don't have your Dell so you'll have to follow their lead. But I've never used "FORMAT" in installing Windows NT, 2000 or XP.

Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info