ASUS A7N266-VM motherboard
CPU - AMD 1700 Athlon XP
Heavy Duty heat sink and fan
2 - Maxtor 40GB HD
2 - CDRW Drives
512 MB DDR2100 Memory
A SONY "A" Drive
350W Power Supply - ATX

I am using Windows 98SE. Two or so months back a "start-up" problem arose. When I turn the computer on it goes to the first Windows screen, shuts off, restarts and goes to the screen to go to the Safe Mode. I choose Number 1 and it restarts and goes on to open correctly.

Some of the times that I start it will open with a "Clean Boot". This may happen once, then the next time it goes back to the Open, Safe Mode, restart. The last few days it is opening with a clean boot most of the time.

If this is, as a friend stated, a problem that is related to closing or is it a problem in the "Start-up" area of the regisrty? I know very little about the registry, except to leave it alone. With a step by step set of directions, I was able to clean up the remains of a program that I had deleted. Other than that I leave the registry alone.

Any assistace with this will be greatly appreciated.

myotis

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Start-up problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Start-up problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Start-up problem. Where's the power?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 29, 2004 7:32 AM PST
In reply to: Start-up problem
Collapse -
Re:Re:Start-up problem. Where's the power?
by crazynalbama / April 11, 2004 10:55 PM PDT

Have you checked the power supply? I have found that when they are starting to go, everything starts to go.

Collapse -
''Clean-boot''
by Cursorcowboy / April 13, 2004 12:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Start-up problem

1. The article [Q192926] discusses the Clean-boot troubleshooting process and procedure to perform a Diagnostic Startup and refers to methods of reducing behaviors that may occur because of the system's environment.

2. Create a Bootlog.txt (hidden file in the root of C:\). When starting the computer, use the Startup Menu to create it.

Note: When examining this file in any text editor -- Notepad in Windows, or typing edit bootlog.txt at the MS-DOS prompt and then pressing Enter (clicking the icon in front of MS_DOS Prompt in the top colored bar provides MS-DOS commands), look for lines ending in LoadFailure which may indicate either a device or software problem.

3. The article [Q127970] discusses the hidden Bootlog.txt, describes content, and explains certain items that may be indicated as a Load Failed which does not necessarily indicate a problem.

4. The article [Q118579] explains the root folder text file Msdos.sys set with Read-Only, System, and Hidden attributes, that this file is set to be at least 1,024 bytes in length, and describes the [Options] section that contain the settings and their meaning. Instructions are contained which allows a user to set certain options which creates the Bootlog.txt file during boot.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.