Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Start up Password

by rcm1454 / April 7, 2006 4:47 PM PDT

My son (bless him) was up all hours on the computer so I decided to set myself up as an administrator in user accounts and have a password to log onto the computer. That way when i switched it off he wouldn`t be able to use it as he wouldn`t know the password.
Whilst the computer was on he also set himself up as an administrator-which i`ve now deleted.

How can I stop him from doing this again?

Can I somehow password protect the user account.

I thought that as an administrator you could prevent anyone from doing this.

Please help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Start up Password
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Start up Password
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
2 Administrator Accounts.
by fredsteigman / April 7, 2006 4:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Start up Password

There are generally two administrator accounts. One in the normal windows environment and the other in Safe mode. If you have'nt protected that angle he could be using that to enter the Administrator setup.

Also create a plain "Limited account" for his usuage not any power user etc.

Hope this help

Collapse -
Agree with jacobjolly
by retired / April 7, 2006 10:55 PM PDT

It is very easy to break into an XP computer unless the hidden Admin account has been password protected and even with that it just takes a little more time and initiative to get it. see how!!

NOTE: If the hidden admin account (Safe Mode) is password protected you will need that password to use this procedure.

Boot to the sign in screen.

In the box that pops up type Administrator for the User name

leave the password blank and click OK or press Enter.

Windows will boot the hidden admin account.

Open Control Panel---User Accounts.

Open the account you are locked out of.

Click Remove Password//Change password

Close out the open windows and Reboot.

If that is the only account you have windows will boot to your desktop. If there is more than one account just click the previously locked account.

NOTE: If you can break into your computer using this method you may want to make a Password for the Hidden Admin account while in Safe Mode. Jot the P/W down and put it in a safe place in the event you need it again.

Another method, same results.

Lost password, Change Password or Delete Password on XP User Accounts with Admin or limited Privileges.

This procedure only works if you can enter safe mode thru the hidden Admin Account

1-Boot to Safe Mode by tapping the F8 key while booting

2-Choose safe mode, Press Enter

3-Select operating system, Press Enter

4-Click Administrator Account

5-Windows is running in Safe Mode, Click YES

6-At the Safe Mode Desktop, click, Start, Control Panel

7-Double click User Accounts, Here you can delete accounts, delete/change passwords ETC.

8-When done Close all Windows

9-Restart Computer

Collapse -
Just to show you can't stop this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2006 12:23 AM PDT

1. Read about the tools at
2. You can consider a BIOS PASSWORD but given access to the hardware I can fix that as well.

Here's my point. The PC is a personal computer and not a secure computing device. By it's very design, what you ask to do (lock up) can be unlocked given just a wee bit more knowledge.

You'll have to resort to hardware removal to achieve a lockdown.

Collapse -
There was something
by fredsteigman / April 8, 2006 3:25 AM PDT

There is an application in XP itself which allows us to securly lock the XP based system .

Its works in 2 ways.

I} One was is after the computer boots and XP loads we have to insert a floppy disk , if and only if the specified floppy disk is present in the drive does the XP booting/ loading continue.

Personally, I never used this method because of the very deadly nature of floppy Disks ( They dont work, when you need them the most ! )

II} The second method is a password option quite like the login password but totally secure.

Both these options work from a similar tool

Now the problem is I dont remeber how we activate this feature. I will repost when I remember it. I hope somebody reading this remembers and so I have given an explanation.

We have to use it via start -> run -> ( TYPE SOMETHING HERE )

Hope I find it .

Collapse -
Found it !
by fredsteigman / April 8, 2006 3:46 AM PDT
In reply to: There was something

Yes , I found it now its based on the user to use it .

Click Start -> Run

Type syskey.

A window opens click "Update", there you have the options now.

Caution : I feel that incase you set a password here be extremely careful so that you dont forget it , because I have not found a way to bypass the password incase one forgets it.

Floppy disks are extremely risky in nature have a backup .

For further reference , please read;en-us;310105

This should be the most secure method.

Collapse -
Start up Password
by caktus / April 8, 2006 6:01 AM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?