Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

start up error messges "Problem with shortcut"

by krix1 / April 8, 2004 5:46 AM PDT

Upon start up, I receive about 30 error messages regarding "Problem with shortcut." Each message pertains to a different file. Each file name is titled some name I am not familiar with. Hyroglyphics, if you know what I mean. Anyway it takes about 10 minutes for each of the boxes to pop up, and I can proceed with using the PC. I attempted to use System Restore to go back to a date prior to the problem. But System Restore won't allow me to go back prior to the current date, which I absolutely don't understand. That's its purpose, isn't it??? When I go to the System Restore screen, a calendar pops up highlighting today's date. There is a button which says it will take me to the previous month, which is when I want to do the restore, but it doesn't change the calendar. The help screens don't tell how to create a restore point as far as the format goes, ie., date, time, etc. So I can't figure out how to do that either. I don't understand enough about the computer to get any further without help. Anyone have this problem before? If so, do you know how to fix it???

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: start up error messges "Problem with shortcut"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: start up error messges "Problem with shortcut"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:start up error messges
by Kees Bakker / April 8, 2004 6:00 AM PDT

I can't help you with your System Restore problem, but the 'problem with shortcut' problem could very well be virus or spyware related.

Moderator Bob Proffitt's Anti-parasite suite is a good starting point. Everything is free, but you might have to use google for recent download places. Read http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=1313&start=0 and be sure to run all the tools.

Do you have a current anti-virus program running? It's really necessary.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Re:Re:start up error messges
by krix1 / April 8, 2004 6:27 AM PDT

I have Norton Antivirus 2004. I don't know if its working or not. I installed it in February. How can I tell if its on or whatever?

Kevin

Collapse -
Viruses and other malware.
by Kees Bakker / April 8, 2004 6:59 AM PDT

If it says it's on, it's on. Test it with the eicar-test from pandasoft: http://www.pandasoftware.com/virus_info/work/eicar1.htm

But there are many bad programs NAV doesn't detect. That's why the anti-parasite suite has 5 programs. And even those 5 aren't sufficient to cover all malware. But they are a good start.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?