HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

start up error: cannot find C-disk,cannot start Boot program

by wendyjg / July 10, 2005 8:25 PM PDT

My Dell laptop Inspiron 8100 only occasionally starts up and then works competely normally. But 49 out of 50 times I try to start up I get this error message: "PXE-05 the LAN adapter's configuration is corrupted or has not been initialized. The Boot agent cannot continue."
I think it cannot find the C-disk? The F2 on start up doesn't work either although I do get the blue Dell-screen just before that message appears. Is this a loose contact somewhere? I changed the C-disk for the floppy-drive which was no success either.Any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: start up error: cannot find C-disk,cannot start Boot program
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: start up error: cannot find C-disk,cannot start Boot program
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's not the harddrive
by TONI H / July 10, 2005 10:01 PM PDT

It's probably the on-board LAN device.......are you set up for DSL/CABLE/SATELLITE modem service or do you have two computers networked together? We have to first find out how you are using the LAN/Ethernet connection and if you aren't using it, it can be disabled in the bios so you don't get that error anymore.

TONI

Collapse -
I do not have a LAN-network
by wendyjg / July 10, 2005 10:48 PM PDT
In reply to: It's not the harddrive

Hi Tony,I do not have/use a network, that's why it cannot find it.But it should first recognise the C-disk I think that's the real problem. BTW: I cannot get into the BIOS either...

Collapse -
F2 to enter the setup/bios
by TONI H / July 10, 2005 11:13 PM PDT

has to be pressed before the Dell screen shows up...just keep tapping that key over and over as you reboot the computer and you should get access to the bios at that point. Then you can get into the integrated peripherals area...or on-board items to disable the LAN, as well as the Dell logo splashscreen. Disabling the Dell logo splashscreen will also allow you to use the F8 key to enter safemode should you ever need to since that splashscreen will hide the menu from you and make you crazy.

Some other info below that might be causing the problem and you might be able to resolve it by getting into safemode......

Network Connections

If a network drive was mapped to a local drive letter, and the ?Reconnect at logon? box checked when that letter was assigned, then Windows will expect to find that network drive every time it starts. If it is not available, a ?connection not available? or ?share name not found? message appears, along with a yes/no prompt to try again next time. If you click the No button, the connection record will be deleted from the Registry. If this is a recurring problem because various network drives are frequently unavailable, yet the same set of drive mappings are regularly needed when they are available, setup the desired mappings and then export the HKCU\Network\Persistentkey structure. Create a shortcut to it on the Desktop or in some other convenient location, and use that shortcut as required to restore lost drive mappings that become available again after Windows has opened.

TONI

Collapse -
I tried F2 before Dell screen appears: no success...
by wendyjg / July 10, 2005 11:24 PM PDT

I tried that too but could not enter the setup program. I do not want to shut down my computer now to try it again, because I am afraid it will not start again... I know that the start-up menu first asks for A:, then C:, because I changed that some months ago. Please also note that the problem mentioned just occured out of nothing, I did not install a network, nor uninstalled anything. Going back to restore-points make no difference either. Do you really think it is not a hardware problem?

Collapse -
Dell can help you for free
by TONI H / July 11, 2005 3:28 AM PDT

Dell http://support.dell.com 800-624-9896

I would call their tech support to explain to them that you can't get into the bios and find out from them why it isn't working properly. Then explain your problem and ask them what they suggest you do to resolve the problem, because it sounds like a malfunctioning hardware problem with the LAN connector on the motherboard, unless it's supposed to be a direct connection to them for remote service and the connection files aren't loading. Make sure you give them the exact error message you are receiving because they will be able to tell right away if it's something from their own vendor installation stuff that gets installed by default with their install disk. I really don't think it's your harddrive, but something else instead they are probably aware of.

TONI

Collapse -
I will call Dell
by wendyjg / July 11, 2005 5:19 PM PDT

I will call them and see if they can help me...Thanks for your help!

Collapse -
Dell helped, but I am not sure yet...
by wendyjg / July 12, 2005 8:43 PM PDT
In reply to: I will call Dell

To keep you updated:
Dell gave me advice and this is my reporHere my report:
- I removed the hard disk
- I removed the internal network card
- I re-installed the hard disk and started the computer twice without any
problems
- I then also re-installed the network card. First time I got the same error
message PXE-05. The second and third time no start-up problems.
- No problems connecting to the internet through DSL-modem connected by USB.
I am not sure if the problem is away completely, time will tell..

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.