Phones forum

General discussion

start listing expensive, high-end cellphones from the past!!

by ackmondual / January 13, 2007 7:02 AM PST

There are many critics against how expensive the iPhone is (will be). However, I can recall even 2 - 3 years ago that there were $800 USD cell phones in existence and being used. These are GENUINELY up to $800 in functionality/features alone, as opposed to some $100 RAZR that's gold plated in 24K gold or a $200 cellphone that's studded with diamonds and other gems. Can someone who follows the cellphone industry pretty well list some of these phones, namely ones that'll set you back $500+? I'm looking for....

-how much they cost (indicate w/or w/o service plan)

-key/unique features

-any info on how popular they are now, or in other words, it's marketshare would be nice.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: start listing expensive, high-end cellphones from the past!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: start listing expensive, high-end cellphones from the past!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Link to the past.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 13, 2007 8:26 AM PST
Collapse -
did you use a time machine?
by wirelesswendy / January 16, 2007 5:40 AM PST
In reply to: Link to the past.

Wowee... those are classic. Way before my time, thank god. LOL.

Collapse -
the good 'ol days
by ackmondual / January 16, 2007 8:15 AM PST
In reply to: Link to the past.

Haven't thought about these phones in a while. I still remember my dad's cell phone back in '99. LCD like a calculator, and per minute charge. With the battery exentension, it had close to a week of call time! Now that these phones have been brought up, I Can't believe they also cancelled That 80s Show

Anybody know of any modern phones over $550 (released after the late 1990's :P)?

Collapse -
What about those Satellite phones?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2007 9:03 AM PST
In reply to: the good 'ol days

Those were also in the K bucks range with 5 buck a minute charges. The good news was the phone doubled as a weapon.

Collapse -
Satellite phones
by thomasgalvin / January 4, 2011 2:54 PM PST

Satellite phones are expensive no doubt about it. The exact cost and detail information i can't tell you. You can get it from here: It has variety of satellite phones. For more you can search on google.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?