Computer Help forum

General discussion

Start-->All programs doesn't work

Yesterday I developed some weird problems with my PC while trying to download a new program. I think I fixed everything BUT when I choose START and go to 'all programs' to get my list of programs, the system shows a big empty box (the size of the program list) and stops cold. After a few minutes, the box disappears and the system is where it was before I asked to see my programs.

Ideas? I purchased Registry Mechanic and ran that. It fixed several errors. I then ran Norton's utility that checks the registry and it found a few more errors but said it fixed them.

Thanks for tuning in...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Start-->All programs doesn't work
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Start-->All programs doesn't work
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Please tell a little bit more.

In reply to: Start-->All programs doesn't work

"tried to download a new program" is too vague.

First tell what program it was from what site, and what the filename was (a zip-file, an exe-file?).

Then tell more about "tried to download". You clicked on "download now" (or something like that) and got a window asking what to do: run from the Internet, or save to your hard disk. And then you clicked on cancel and the window closed. Or you said 'save ...' then tried to open the saved zip-file and winzip said 'invalid checksum'. Or the download was aborted at 800 out of 1600 kB because the computer crashed. Or ... Anyway, tell us what you did, and what happened.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Also ...

In reply to: Please tell a little bit more.

tell why you had to fix something/anything, what you thought you had to fix and why, and especially what exactly did you do (edit, delete, rename, etc).

Although, in principle, the idea offered by drsmith58 (a virus and spyware scan) is sound, note these programs are designed to remove that software, NOT to undo all damage done to the system by system owners unknowingly messing things up.

Did you try to go back to your last system restore point? That's what they are meant for!

Kees

Collapse -
Re: Also ...

In reply to: Also ...

Yes, I did go back to a system restore point, the latest was from the day before.

What I thought I had to fix was that sometime AFTER I placed the order, I contacted the company and they gave me instructions as to how to acquire the download. Nothing worked. When I tried to do a restart, my system died.

I guess that's what I thought I had to fix.

To get the system running again, I had to unplug the cmputer (there is no reboot button on the box) and plug it back in and turn the power on. I know that is not a good thing but I didn't have a clue as what else to do to get the system booted, at least.

L...

Collapse -
Re: Please tell a little bit more.

In reply to: Please tell a little bit more.

Kees,

I should know enough by now to write down these things because my memory is too bad but I'll try to recreate the situation.

I had just purchased a subscription to a Broderbund product which included an upgrade to existing software. When the order was approved, I followed their instructions and what happened on the screen went by my eyes so fast, I didn't know if the download was successful or not.

I did a search with a wildcard on the extensions to see if I could find a file that met the criteria so I don't think anything was downloaded.

Oh, one thing: Two days ago, I download Mozilla Firefox to try. I have found, however, that if I have a URL in an email message and I click on it, instead of opening Firefox (which I said was my default browser), it opens Internet Explorer.

Could this be causing these problems?

L...

Collapse -
Re: Start-->All programs doesn't work

Have you run a spyware and virus check? It almost sounds like when you go Start-- All programs-- sounds like something else is running, counting or tracking what is going on. Also delete your Temporary Internet files: lauch IE--Tools--Internet Options-- General Tab--Temporary Internet files.
Good Luck

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Start-->All programs doesn't work

Before I answer the previous replies (I'm trying to remember what the sequence of events was), I'll answer this one.

Yes, I ran both Norton's Systemworks virus check with the most current virus definitons. It didn't find anything.

Then I ran Spybot and it found some spyware which I told it to fix. I ran it agian and the system was clean.

I rebooted and reran both programs (virus and spybot) and they both came up clean.

One other thing...when I choose to restart the system or boot from shutdown, it takes and ENORMOUS amount of time to boot.

Thanks.

Collapse -

Ic,

At this point, I would run the System File Checker to check for corrupted or missing system files on your computer. Here's a link on how to do that:

Windows XP Using the System File Checker Tool

And to answer a previous question of yours about clicking on a URL and having Internet Explorer open instead of Firefox. That is occurring because IE is still your "default" browser and shouldn't be causing the issue that you're having.. If you want Firefox to be your default, you should be able to change that by opening "Internet Options" from the Control Panel, then click on the "Programs" tab and UNCHECK the box at the bottom next to "Internet Explorer should check to see if its the default browser". Then click on "Apply", then OK. Next, while in Firefox, click on "Tools" in the upper left, choose "Options", then click on the "General" category listing on the left. Place a CHECK mark in the box next to "Firefox should check to see if it's the default browser". Click on the "Check Now" button, etc.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -

Firefox is set to be the default browser. Don't know why I didn't notice it, but when I click a URL in an email message BOTH IE and Firefox open to the same page!

Collapse -

Yikes...forgot to say that I ran the System File Checker Tool and it ran with no problems. It asked for the XP CD and it accessed it a few times.

And I'm afraid it didn't cure either of my problems:

1) start-->all programs fails

2) when I start or restart the system, it takes up to 30 min. to boot!

Collapse -
Just Another Thought About That Issue....

Because I have seen strange changes with Registry Mechanic,(Click HERE to see that you're not alone) please make sure that the "Programs" folder in Windows Explorer hasn't been changed to "Hidden". RIGHT click on the Start button, choose "Explorer". When that loads, click on "Tools" in the upper left, choose "Folder Options", then click on the "View" tab. Now place a dot/tic in the "Show Hidden Files and Folders" box and UNCHECK the box which says: "Hide Protected Operating System Files".. After doing so, click on "Apply", then OK.

Next, while still in Windows Explorer, navigate to the "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start
Menu\Programs" folder, RIGHT click on the "Programs" folder, choose "Properties", then make sure the "Hidden" attribute box at the bottom is UNCHECKED. If you make any changes, then click on "Apply", then OK.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: Just Another Thought About That Issue....

In reply to: Just Another Thought About That Issue....

Ok, I did those things and the program folder in both cases is NOT hidden.

I wish I could say that it's comforting to know that someone else is having the same problem, but it isn't.

Actually, the Start--all programs problem has become the minor problem. When I restart or start the system, it takes up to a half an hour to boot!!!!!!!!!!

One thing...when I run Norton WinDoctor, the program stops at 'Registry Scan ActiveX/COM sections' and the file or whatever is
ProgID - $crfile

L...

Collapse -

Have read thur the posts twice and it appears all bases have been covered except for Hardware.

Have you run any diagnosis on your hard drive?

Also open case and see how hot the drive is getting or if it making any noise.

Bill

Collapse -

I opened the cover and there's nothing overheated and no noises.

When I try to run Norton's Disk Doctor, it locks up. Is there no equivalent to scandisk in XP?

Things are getting stranger...now:

1. every once in awhile, start-->all programs works properly. I cannot asertain what under what circumstances that happens

2. When I boot or restart, it still takes a long time to come to the 'welcome' window. When I enter my account (which has sys. privileges, of course), it takes a long time for the desktop to appear and the taskbar to load. I can, at some point, do a CTL+ALT+DEL and I'll get the task manager. The first window is empty but under processes, there are things running. Like 31 processes listed but a lot have 0 under CPU. I will occasionally see crsrss.exe pop in. What is that??

3. When I run Norton's windows doctor or whatever the name is, it stops on Registry Scan ActiveX/COM sections, progID - $crfile whatever that is.

4. Oh, just because things were crazy enough, I uninstalled Firefox. Both it and IE were loading everytime I clicked on a URL. I don't need that with all the other things going on.

Ok, so I need to try to run disk diagnostics. I check all the settings and I don't see any that would stop Norton Disk Doctor. Is there another disk checker I can get?

Thanks, BTW, to all of you for your help.

Collapse -
Chkdsk/Error Checking For Windows XP

Collapse -
Re: Chkdsk/Error Checking For Windows XP

In reply to: Chkdsk/Error Checking For Windows XP

Grif,

Actually, I stumbled into this..I finally got Norton's disk doctor to run but it said that it couldn't fix any errors until I restarted. I let it scan the disk and it didn't say there where any errors. When I restarted, I say that it ran CHKDSK (which must be the same as the instructions you gave me). When it was finished, the screen that tells the results flashed by so fast that I couldn't tell if it fixed any errors or not.

After that, I went back and ran WinDoctor and it worked!!!

And this morning, I find that everything works: start--all programs; restart and reboot.

And WinDoctor now gets past The ActiveX/COM section ProgID - $crfile.

What I can presume, then, is that there WAS a disk error.

The hard drive is very fragmented so I'll defrag this morning.

Thanks so much for your help!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse -

Just wanted to thank everyone for their help. As I mentioned in my last message to Grif, it looks like everything is working. I can only presume that CHKDSK DID find an error and fixed it, although I didn't get to see the report, it flashed across the screen so quickly.

I don't know why I couldn't get Norton's Disk Doctor to work before (and throw me into CHKDSK).

I hope that I can remain at 'steady state' for awhile now. Aren't computers wonderful...when they're working :-}

Thanks everyone.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Ic, Good Job & Glad We Could Help

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.