Small business & Startups forum

General discussion

Start a small business: Square One

by thejuice16 / December 1, 2009 3:27 AM PST

Just want to start out by saying thanks in advance to any help anyone offers.

So for a little background, my name is Scott and I am a college student at Texas Tech in Lubbock, Texas. I am originally from New Jersey, and I have hopes of starting many small businesses in upstate New York. I have many business ideas for the area I am looking at, and just to say now, I am not looking for new ideas as of now, I am looking for advice on how to begin. The town I hope to start in, preferably stay in, is a historical town that has been run down over the years. I hope to start out by purchasing one building on the main street, convert it back to its original form and start most likely a book store. Over time I will purchase more and more, with the goal of revamping this town to its original, historical looking self. (This town is in and around big summer tourist spots, so the summer is the main time of year for business) Other ventures would be starting a bar, ice cream shop, barber shop, and other small town fixtures that its lacking. In the end I would be a real estate developer for small time projects. (No big city stuff!)

What I have done so far is contact the Chamber of Commerce in this town, in which I have their full support, as they desire what I desire which is a big plus on my end. I have also researched commercial buildings for sale, and I have found the perfect building for my first venture. The building is listed at $199,000, as it was just reduced. I would anticipate that price, but hope to drop it more as I see they are willing to negotiate do to retirement. I have begun writing a business plan, but to me it does not seem that great. I never took business courses here in college which i probably should have, but if anyone has any good templates and advice on what to put in the business plan I would be greatly appreciative. Also my major concern deals with money... Wink Big surprise there ehh? I am a college student who has piled on many debts that come with being in college and I was wondering if anyone had advice on how to begin. I know the economy is piss poor, but my hopes were to try and take advantage of a down economy. ie cheaper real estate, cheaper product, etc. It just seems as though its impossible to do anything without having your own finances to back it. Does anyone have any advice on how to get the finances needed to back it? My only idea is being I am in college now, start an online bookstore, and bank all the money I get from that. The only problem is, I am not really sure where to start with that. I have sold stuff on Ebay in the past, but that seems so different as that was just odds and ends. I would need my own site, with a consistent product (books), and I would need to figure out how to buy them at a cheaper rate than what I sell them for.... Any help on any thing I mentioned or didn't mention I would appreciate so much. If anyone can point out things I am missing please do and I won't be offended! Wink I need all the help I can get, and I won't turn down any advice!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Start a small business: Square One
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Start a small business: Square One
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Questions
by b1kbrg92 / December 28, 2009 12:56 AM PST

Work with the Chamber group regarding historical building,funding.
Get numbers on summer traffic and area of grouping.
Get town history in relation to industries and growth area direction.
Get me this info peek and we can go from there.

Collapse -
Government Help for small business
by Joehash / May 19, 2011 12:49 AM PDT

There are government organizations that help small business with planning and advise and of course its free. Try sba= small business authority or something like that. good luck and be persistent.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?