Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

standby or hibernate, but with P2P running

by noobynoob / March 1, 2007 10:27 PM PST

Folks
I use P2P and my machine runs overnight, 24 X 7.
I have also noticed a sizeable jump in my electricity bills and then that's obvious.
I was planning to cut down the power consumption[ @ nights] by keeping my XP either on 'standby' or 'hibernate' mode. Question is , will my P2P[ emule or torrent] fall off with either of these two getting activated ?
Basically my ideal situation would be power consumption + P2P running in the backgrd.

anyone any experience with this matter.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: standby or hibernate, but with P2P running
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: standby or hibernate, but with P2P running
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes
by jackson dougless / March 1, 2007 10:46 PM PST

And that's all the more I'll say. While there are plenty of legal things that can be obtained using file sharing programs, the overwhelming majority is illegal. I'm not interested in being an accessory to your activities, and it's against forum policies to boot.

You should also know, that almost everything you will get from emule will be infested with either a virus or some other kind of malware.

Collapse -
No
by Papa Echo / March 1, 2007 10:48 PM PST

Standby means what it is - standby. And hibernate means hibernate - sleep till Winter is over. That is, no activty. So your P2P won't run. If your computer(mother board) allows it(some laptops do), use reduced power. And switch off the monitor. Perhaps your sizeable jump in electricity consumption is caused by other things. If you use all of your power, say 450W which is quite unlikely, it is only 4,500W for 10 hours, or 4.5 units of electricity consumed. Is that within that sizeable jump ?

Collapse -
RE: electricity consumption
by caktus / March 2, 2007 4:58 AM PST
In reply to: No

With my emachines T3624 2.66 MH Celeron D with XP Home number crunching plus surfing an average of about
4-5 hrs a day 24/7 I figure about 4-5 $/m at $.093/kWh. At best I am capable of figuring, this estimate ought to be kind of close.

Collapse -
Don't forget the monitor
by jackson dougless / March 2, 2007 5:38 AM PST

CRT monitors, while they've improved significantly the past few years, are real energy pigs. You can save quite a bit of energy by just shutting the things off when you're not going to be using them. I have my monitor set to go into power save mode if there's been no activity for 20 minutes. LCD monitors use considerably less energy, and might be a worthwhile investment.

And some general energy bill lowering tips... Get compact florescent lightbulbs. They generate about the same amount of light at about 1/3 the energy consumption of incandescent bulbs. A 100W equivalent florescent uses around 23W of energy. They cost a bit more at the store, but you'll easily make that up on energy savings over time. Not to mention florescent bulbs tend to last significantly longer. Most are estimated to have a lifespan of about 5 years, as opposed to a few hundred hours for incandescent. So it's just an added bonus that you won't have to buy as many bulbs or replace them nearly as often.

Also, a tip courtesy of Mythbusters... Even if you're going to come back to a room shortly, you save money by turning the lights off and back on again. The long tube florescent bulbs had the longest time period between how much energy it took to start it up, and how long it would have to run to use the same amount of energy... It came out to around 25 seconds. All other bulbs tested were either a fraction of a second, or one or two seconds. So even if you're only going to be gone for a minute, it's worth it to shut the lights off.

If you have a fireplace, make sure you have some way of closing it. Particularly if you live in an area that experiences winter. Fireplaces are very inefficient, so it might be a worthwhile investment to get some sort of decorative frame with a door for it, or one that has better insulation abilities.

Putting plastic over windows in the winter is a good cheap method of saving some money in the winter if it gets cold where you live.

Another good one is unplugging things that you don't really use often. Even when turned off, a lot of devices still draw power. TVs, radios, game consoles, that sort of thing. If you know anyone who's an electrician, you could try to get them to wire some of those outlets to a wall switch to make things easier.

Plenty of other ways to reduce your utility bills, but you can search for them on your own.

Collapse -
standby or hibernate, but with P2P running
by noobynoob / March 2, 2007 12:03 AM PST

Thanks all..!

the answer was upto the mark !

& sorry for mentioning that 3 letter dirty word in my mail subject. I can understand.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?