Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Standard or High Definition?

by king custard / May 2, 2007 4:34 AM PDT

I will start off by thanking all of you in advance for reading this and possibly offering some insight. We just had our first child and I need to buy a camcorder in the next week. I've done quite a bit of research but I can't bring myself to make a purchase, because their seem to be so many pros AND cons to each one I consider. I have a Sony HDTV, 1080p at home. I was pretty much decided on the Sony DCR-SR200, but if I'm going to spend $800 on a camcorder, I wonder if I should spend $200 more and get a high definition one - like the Canon HV20. I'm not a professional, but I'd like to get a camcorder with a hard drive, that has excellent video quality and sound and very good low light performance. I also wonder if since I have a HDTV I should get the high def camcorder - but then if I do that, does that raise a bunch of issues.problems with editing, burning etc. that would be much easier with a non-HD one. Thanks very much for any help you can give. Joe

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Standard or High Definition?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Standard or High Definition?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
HD Camcorder
by Dan Filice / May 2, 2007 6:02 AM PDT

If you go the HD Camcorder route, one thing to think about is how you will then create true HD video to play on your HDTV. Unless you play back from your camera, plugged into your TV via HDMI, you will need to then get a HD-DVD burner and software that will handle HD video. It can be done, but this may put you into costs you didn't want to spend. Many computers come with a DVD burner and software that is capable of burning standard-def DVDs, so this route may not cost anything. If standard-def discs are OK, then why worry about a camcorder that shoots HD?

Collapse -
My thoughts on HD...
by whizkid454 / May 2, 2007 6:26 AM PDT

Short and sweet:

HD is not ready yet.

Give it another year or so and by then, Blu-Ray and/or HD-DVD burners and discs will be (hopefully) cheaper. I wouldn't buy a burner just yet because we have no idea which format will win the format war.

For now, either get the HD camcorder and play back on the TV through HDMI or component (like the previous poster said) or get a SD camcorder.

Collapse -
Get the HD camera NOW!
by Kiddpeat / May 2, 2007 8:26 AM PDT

It doesn't matter if you can't capture or burn HD now. You will have the HD footage, and, when it becomes commonplace, you can capture and burn the HD video. In the meantime, you shoot HD and downsample it to SD for the usual standard, low cost processing. The HD cameras will downsample their output if you want them to. You will, of course, need to retain the miniDV tapes, but you should do that anyway.

Collapse -
I use a hidef camera today
by boya84 / May 2, 2007 11:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Get the HD camera NOW!

and do the downsampling to standard def video when the DVD is burned. It is the CLEAREST standard definition you have ever seen... and it is that important to me, I export back to the camera and use it as a playback device.

If it means that much to you, you can always opt to record in 4:3 or 16:9 standard def...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.