TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Standalone Upconverting DVD Players Better than theXBox 360?

I'm currently using my XBox 360 to upconvert DVDs to 1080p though its HDMI connection. The upconverting is pretty good IMO. I'm considering buying a standalone upconverting DVD player, and I wonder if getting one would also result in a better image quality than what I'm currently getting from my 360.

I've got the 360 hooked up to my 47" LG 47LC7DF LCD. If I bought a standalone upconverting DVD player like the Sony DVPNS700H/B, Samsung DVD-1080P8, LG DN898 or Pioneer DV-410V-K are my DVDs going to look improved over what my XBox 360 is already doing?

Unfortunately none of the players I'm considering has been reviewed yet on CNet. Also players usually aren't reviewed side by side and I can't find a store in my area with one of them set up either.

Blu Ray's not an option..not quite yet anyway. I'm waiting to see what happens with the Netflix "trial" of increased prices for the rental of Blu Ray titles.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Standalone Upconverting DVD Players Better than theXBox 360?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Standalone Upconverting DVD Players Better than theXBox 360?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have not seen the XBOX 360...

upscaling a DVD in person, but generally what I have heard is that it is not good at it. CNET also said as much when they reviewed it as a DVD upscaler.

So would a stand alone player give you better upscaling? Depending on the player, most likely. Again though, I have not seen a 360 playing a DVD, as I don't have one, and I am only going by what CNET, friends, and casual surfing has lead me to believe.

Interesting about the Netflix Blu-ray price thing. I was a Netflix customer, but switched to Blockbuster because the store around the corner from me has a large selection of BD's. It is much more convenient for me to have the movies come in the mail and then return them to the store for new releases or BD and DVD discs. I never have to wait for Netflix to ship me new releases (which sometimes took a few weeks) or Blu-ray discs, and I can almost always get them the day they come out because there are usually so many copies of a new release.

What I loved about Netflix is that although Blockbuster has a huge selection of titles, Netflix' selection is still larger. However, if Netflix is going to raise prices for BD rentals, that would negate any interest I might have in switching back.

I hope that you find a good solution for your upscaling needs and hopefully Netflix doesn't discourage from going Blu by raising prices, because upscaling is not a substitute on a large screen HDTV.

Good luck

Collapse -
I own a 360....

In reply to: Standalone Upconverting DVD Players Better than theXBox 360?

I own an XBOX 360 with the HD DVD player and a HDMI cable and I think it does a very good job at up converting DVDs. You did not mention if you have the HD DVD player or not, so I don't know if you are using that to up convert your DVDs. If that is the case, I would not spend the money for another player. I would wait for the Blu ray players to come down in price like I am.

Collapse -
(NT) Fan noise a factor?

In reply to: I own a 360....

Collapse -
Fan Noise

In reply to: Fan noise a factor?

Fan noise isn't a factor to me. Personally, I have never thought the XBox 360 fan is all that loud.

As for the HD-DVD drive for the 360, I've thought about it. The problem is that I can't rent HD-DVDs from Netflix.

I did get a message on my Netflix account today to "Add Blu Ray access for no additional fee. If it is available on Blu Ray we'll automatically send you that version." I hope this means that perhaps Netflix in the span of 2 days has realized their idea of asking consumers to pay more to be able to rent Blu Ray discs is a very bad idea.

I just got a coupon from Best Buy for 12% off any item and I've got $40 in Rewards Zone certificates. I wasn't going to jump into Blu Ray yet, in part because of the Netflix decision that went public on the 28th and in part because the cheapest player at Best Buy (the Insignia) doesn't have the manufacturer (Funai) committed to any future firmware updates. Insignia told me themselves in an email they "don't know" if it will be updated from profile 1.1.

But now I think I can afford the Samsung!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.