Desktops forum

General discussion

STAND-BY vs HIBERNATION

Sorry to add to the mountain of discussion here. But I do have a question for which I'm not seeing an answer.
I'm a relative newbie and I find this particular forum fascinating in all the well-presented pros and cons on turning the computer on or off.

I just went through the 273-post thread below and several other. But I was unable to determine what the difference is between HIBERNATION and STANDBY. I have XP at home and these options are both available. I have used HIBERNATION and found it similar to shut down: I had to press the PC power button to get going, although it started right up where it had left off. STAND-BY lets me use the mouse or keyboard to 'wake-up' the computer.

Which is better?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: STAND-BY vs HIBERNATION
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: STAND-BY vs HIBERNATION
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:STAND-BY vs HIBERNATION

In reply to: STAND-BY vs HIBERNATION

To "Jay M"

Please email me at z7707@cs.com if you ever find out what they are and which is better, because I too have often wondered the same thing.

I do not know what goes on within the system when you go into Hybernation. I am almost thinking it goes into a really deep sleep kinda sorta.

And as for standby? heck if I know.

I started out on computers with a PowerPC Mac with 5+ years of that before finding out how a PC runs. I started out with this computer thing in 1997. Before that, I wanted little or nothing to do with anything computer related!
Since, I have built and upgraded and who knows what computer. I have every OS since OS 7.1 to 8.1 Mac and every OS from MS-DOS 5.0 to XP Pro and everything in between.
My favorites are WinNT4, Win98se & Win2000Pro and want Nothing to do with anything XP!

Below is my little input, but has nothing much to do with your question, per se .....

Do you leave your car running or shut it off? The Worst thing that you can do to your car is Start it! The worst thing you can do to a diesel engine, is start it. So, do you leave it running? Of course not.

How long do you want that hard drive to last? Do you like the information you now have on that hard drive? Of course you do.

Shut down when you are not using, it is just wise investment!

Also, shutting down alows your computer to reconfigure when it starts up.

Your computer is not human - it doesn't know whether 24 hours have past or 5 minutes have past by. Sure the clock knows, but it doesn't tell the rest of the system this knowledge. The computer is a machine, pure and simple!

The Macintosh computer was made to restart and shut down. So is the PC.

Have you ever noticed the people who tell you to leave it on are also people who sell computer parts? humm, wonder if there is any correlation there?

Collapse -
Re:Re:STAND-BY vs HIBERNATION

In reply to: Re:STAND-BY vs HIBERNATION

Being someone is the computer retail industry I took offense to your comment "Have you ever noticed the people who tell you to leave it on are also people who sell computer parts? humm, wonder if there is any correlation there?"

I myself have always left my computer on, and I've been with computers for the past 21 years. Sure, every couple years I need to replace my cooling fan, but what's $15-$20. The reason I keep my tower on is because many years ago (in te early 80s actually) I used to turn everything off when I was done using it, and turning it on and off several dozens of times a day actually cause the on/off switch of my monitor to need replacing. The bill: $75. Now I just keep it in screensaver mode because saving money is a good thing.

As for the hibernation vs. standby mode, I wouldn't really reccommend either as I have found a huge number of computer users to complain that they cannot get their computer to exit out of either of the modes.

Collapse -

to start taking about STANDBY AND HIBERNATION WE NEED TO ASSOCIATE THEM AS ENERGY SAVER. STANDBY AVOIDS ANY RUNNING INTERNET CONNECTION WHILE SHOUTS DOWN THE MONITOR SCREEN TO ECONOMIZE THE CONSUME OF ENERGY BY THE MONITOR. YOU CAN WAKE THE COMPUTER BY MOVING THE MOUSE OR KEYBORD. HIBERNATE LETS THE COCOMPUTER RUN A LOW POWER APPEARING THAT YOUR MACHINE IS SHOUT DOWN AND SAVING YOUR WINDOWS SECTION IT AVOID LOSING OF DATA IF YOU LET YOUR COMPUTER A LONG TIME UNNATENDED.

IF YOU EXPERIENCING PROBLEMS WITH BOTH FEATURES JUST DISABLE THEM BY GOING INTO MY COMPUTER THEN CONTROL PANEL AND CLICK ON DISPLAY THEN SCREENSAVERS TAB
THEN CLICK SETTINGS . IT WILL SHOW YOU THE SPECIFIC TIME FOR EACH FEATURE TO TAKE EFECT SELECT NEVER. IT SHOULD DISABLE THE FEATURES YOU WANT TO DISABLE.

Collapse -
I can tell you this

My fist computer was a commodore 64 the first home PC if you can call it that I took a course in computers now it is true that turning it off and on is bad the reason is temperature like if you have an ac on and your PC cools down when you fire it up and send all that heat into you risk blowing resistors.Now it is also true that leaving a hard drive running all the time will wear it down to have the best of both worlds us techs recommended stand by mode so what you do is set your hard disks to power down after a few hours depending on your use if you use you system say few times a day for 30 mins have your hardrive power down in an hour but if your a gamer and game for many hours at a time you don't want your drive spinning down and spinning up it will slow your system so set it to 6 hours etc.As for hibernate it is kinda new to me and I don't know much about it but I believe that all it does is shutdown and when it shutdown it uses hard drive space to save what you have open so basically it's the same as shutting down I still would recommend against using hibernate and stick to standby,for it is a proven method of making a system last longer with out breakdowns I also recommend if your using standby to do a restart at least once a day and at max once every 3 days.However as for you analgoy to a car it just doesn't fit the cost of gas versus the cost electricty can't even compare also turning your computer on costs more then letting the computer run for the day.Also if you are using it many time's a day a lot of how you use your system depends on the temperature of the room it is in the moisture content of that room how often you use it and if there is a risk of flood or power surges see if your computer is off and gets hit by water and you get it to someone like me in time I can save it but if it was on then there is no hope.SO really if you go to work all day and no one is going to use your system and the computer is in a room that is a constant temperature and humidity isn't a problem then I would say shut it off or use hibernation mode.But if your like me in a room where temperature and humidity can change from hour to hour and you are likely to use your system many many time a day and want it at the push of a button or at the click of your mouse standby mode is for you.
I hope this helps in your discussions I am a PC Tech but I do not sell parts in fact I am not even in the business any more I repair now only for family and friends mainly because computers are not repaired any more all they do now days is swap parts and remove virus and spyware it's just not the same as it was when we really repaired computers and made good money at it.

Collapse -

The actual difference between standby and hibernation is that standby just goes into a low-power mode. The computer remains on, so if the battery dies while in standby, you may lose anything that wasnt saved. In hibernation, the current configuration of the desktop and any programs running and so on is save to the hard disk. Basically, the RAM info is saved to the hard drive so that the computer can fully turn off and the battery is left charged. I've used standby before and it doesnt drain the battery much, but its still more than nothing.

Collapse -

Collapse -

I have a new Dell 8300 w/ XP pro and it does offer both "hibernation" and "standby"--what is the difference, and since I like my fax(Winfax Pro 10.3) to be able to receive at all times, which one should i use? Is there a significant difference to the PC? I have tried both, and it seems the fan shuts down during both modes. Any help or comments is appreciated.

bumperman

Collapse -
(NT) (NT)

Collapse -

I think Oyar said it fairly well. Stand-by is low power mode. The computer does not actually shut down. I don't recall how much of the system state is saved to the hard drive, but I do know that the computer is placed in the minimum configuration allowable and still be powered up. Any activity will bring the computer back up to where it was when you went into stand-by.

Hibernation actually powers down the computer, but before doing so, it saves the complete current working state of the machine to your hard drive before shutting down. Supposedly, any applications that you were working with will open in the exact state that they were in when hibernated.

Stand-by will get you back to work faster than hibernation.

I haven't tried this, but you will most likely find more information than you ever wanted to know, either by performing a search in Microsoft Help, or by searching the Microsoft Knowledge Base. "Hibernation" and "standby" are the key words to search for.

Personally, I use hibernation simply because it uses less power than stand-by. Which you use should depend on your individual situation. If you have battery backup available, it might be an acceptable risk to use stand-by mode. However, I strongly suggest that if you are working on something important, that you save your work prior to stand-by or hibernation. That way, you can be sure that whatever happens, you won't lose anything you were working on. Also, regardless of the method you use, if your startup configuration automatically updates any virus definition files or anti-trojan/worm signature files upon boot up, you should manually ensure that your signature files are up to date when you come out of hibernation or stand-by mode. In fact, this is something you should do every day, no matter how you choose to end your computing day (shut down, standby, or hibernation), especially given the proliferation of virus and trojan/worm exploits these days. The old adage of CYA applies!

I hope that this rather simplistic explanation has increased your understanding.

Collapse -

my 2 cents. I use hibernate a lot standby never..
I think the choices should be between regular shutdown and hibernation. I've never had any problems with hibernate. You can set it up in setup so that hitting the power button shuts it down {hibernates}
The advantage is speed . Hit the button it saves and goes down.
The advantage to regular shutdown is that it boots
when it comes back up. That sometimes fixes problems.

Collapse -

Good explanation.
Also....
1. Standby can have phases: shut down the monitor, (big power save), hard drives, etc. Most new systems allow you to choose time before power save for each device category. This is a great electricity saver for those who use the PC on an off during the course of the day and don't want to live through 11 boot sequences.
2. In my opinion, Hibernate serves no "very" useful purpose. It is a complete power down of the system, but restarts exactly where you left off. The only real use is if you are in a situation where you get interrupted when in the middle of a task and don't return for a really, really, long time. (huh?). Or.. you live in a country where electricity is generated by burning gold bullion.

I lied when I said Hibernate starts up exactly where you left off. (and this is why it does not always work well). When you restart, you computer goes through a fresh boot sequence. It is no longer a computer that has been on for 6 days, yet the memory snapshot IS from a computer that has been on for 6 days. Not the same thing. (I have found, but not proved that the longer the PC is on prior to Hibernate, the less successful the system was after waking).
I think most people that leave the computer long enough to want a total power shutdown, would do better to shut it down deliberately.
P.S.
I auto reboot once a week (Sunday at 2 AM), and never fully power down the machine except for maintenance. My last PC was a 450 PII that ran 24X7 for 6 years. I still use it as a backup server. This is not proof that it is OK to let the computer run... just one person's experience.

Collapse -
Why hibernate?

In reply to: Re:Re:STAND-BY vs HIBERNATION

If you're on a desktop, I would only standby or shutdown. Either you want to restart immediately, or shutdown for the night.

But on a laptop, I think hibernate is the best. I can just close the lid tonight, and open the lid tomorrow and pick up if necessary. But I never really leave programs open - just IM, etc. background stuff. I just do this to avoid the 3 minutes of Windows startup or however bloody long it takes. I'm still incensed that I have to reboot to update my system so often. It's just insult to injury.

Collapse -

HIBERNATION copies what is in memory to the hard drive, then powers the computer down. This requires the power button to resume use. Once the power button is pressed the data copied to the hard drive from memory is restored to memory and you are back where you left off.

STAND-BY on the other hand, simply puts the computer in a low power use state. the display, hard drive and any other non-essential components are powered down to conserve power. Normally this is the battery power of a laptop, but can also be used on a desktop.

If working correctly both methods will conserve energy, however HIBERNATION will conserve more as it uses no power at all where as STAND-BY must keep portions of you computer powered so that you can press a key or move the mouse to revive it.

Collapse -

You are perfectly right. I have a notebook and always use Hibernation because I does not use batery power. That is not the case with stand-by, if you leave your note book all the nigth long , the next day you will not have battery at all. I have set my lap top to hibernate when closing the lid.

Collapse -

When I'm not far from my computer, I prefer Standby and when I'm far away from my computer, it's hibernation I'll use. Bottom line is if you leave your computer on 24/7 you should also think about having extra security measures installed, ie; firewall, anti-virus etc...My suggestion to you would be, use what suites your computer use habits, ie; casual user, daily user, avid user, or "recluse user"(don't have a life out in the real world). A computer / operating system is only as good as it's "Human Connection". PLEASE DO NOT TAKE OFFENCE TO THIS MESSAGE,as I am a 50 year old who has used as many different "computers" as he has changed his way of thinking(Lots and Lots)

Collapse -
Power Use-Standby vs. On

FWIW, I have run my system through a "Kill A Watt" meter plugged into a wall outlet.

Everything 'ON'=150W. 'STANDBY'=50W.

'Everything'=Tower, monitor, printer, cable modem, speakers. 'Standby' is with monitor and cable modem 'ON'.

My 24 hour useage over 4 weeks averages close to 2KW.

If anyone is interested, I'll do a similar run on "Hibernate.

Aloha,

Herb

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.