Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Stand By option greyed out

by re3do0 / January 21, 2010 1:12 AM PST

I recently rebooted my Inspiron 300m and am currently running Windows XP SP3. Whenever I select the "Turn Off Computer" option, the button for Stand By is grey, so i cannot click on it. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? Perhaps I am missing a driver...

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Stand By Option greyed
by srfpala / April 24, 2011 10:30 AM PDT

Did you ever resolve this issue ?

Collapse -
Try Reinstalling The Motherboard/Chipset Driver And...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 25, 2011 6:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Stand By Option greyed

...the graphics drivers for your particular computer. (Check the "Device Manager" will frequently show yellow exclamation marks in both these areas.) Such drivers should be available at the computer manufacturer's website or the device manufacturer's website. They usually allows the "Power Management Options" to correctly display the "Standby" button.. Unfortunately, you've not told us anything about the make and model of your computer, so that's about the only advice possible at this time.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!