TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Stacked Stone - hanging plasma tv

by toetker / December 18, 2011 12:33 PM PST

So we moved into a newly built house and I need to mount my 50 samsung plasma. I've mounted several plasma's before, but always through wood or drywall (where its easy to find the studs)The trick this time is the face of the fireplace is stacked stone - but its more like a veneer, its real stone but its adhered to the wall. I have a built in tube to run the cables and have an outlet for power. I can open the cover for the tube and see where the studs are but i have a few questions:
1. Do i need to use some kind of padding behind the mount since the stone isnt level
2. Can i use normal cement drill bits to go through the stone (have used similiar on basement walls/floors)
If i have to ill get a pro, but have enough knowledge myself - have finished basements, framing, eletrical, plumbing that i feel confident, just concerned about drilling through stacked stone and padding or spacers behind mount.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Stacked Stone - hanging plasma tv
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Stacked Stone - hanging plasma tv
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Hanging Tv
by tedtks / December 23, 2011 5:49 AM PST

are you sure its real stone ? often this is actually fake ' ' stone look ' ' and is made from a whipped concrete
induceing air to keep it light. todays fake stone - well,,, sometimes you cant see a difference till you pick
one up.
since the mounts I have seen have multiple vertical mounting holes. you could try and align the
wall mount rig so at least the top two and maybe one bottom will be over a joint tween the stones.
this will make it easier to drill thru the grout (concrete mix) to hit a stud. use a slightly smaller size
bit to drill since most concrete drilling ends up larger and should fit the bolt closer. plus it can always
be drill wiggled larger if too tight - but harder to shrink LOL
this should give you a solid connection and not have to worry about the brick comeing loose from the
wall for whatever reason. (depends on quality of labor that set the rock and backer board)
personally - I am not too keen on putting a tv above the fireplace - thats plastic above heat.
and over time will it have any effect on the screen outer layer ? just my thoughts on that LOL.

Collapse -
Just a thought...
by porsche10x / December 27, 2011 4:14 AM PST
In reply to: Hanging Tv

Another reason to consider drilling through the mortar, if possible. Say, you change your mind, or sell your house, or something. It will be a lot easier to repair a hole in the mortar than it would be to replace a stone with one that matches.

Collapse -
hanging
by tedtks / December 27, 2011 7:07 AM PST
In reply to: Hanging Tv

forgot to mention - since u are working on stone - uneven surface.
where the lag bolt goes thru the mortar - its probably the lowest point. you
can use maybe a 1/2dia. piece of plastic pipe as a spacer from the mortar to the
mounting rod - can be shaped and painted to match the stone.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.