General discussion

SSL issus across all my browsers (Chrome, Firefox, IE)

Hi,

I'm having the same issues with all of my browsers, which means there must be something corrupted with my computer itself...

Starting yesterday (left the office on Tuesday, everything was fine; came in Wednesday morning and everything was weird) I've been having lots of issues with secure websites. It's only my computer, and it's only secure sites with SSL certificates (i.e., anything that starts with https://).

My browser says that every secure site is untrusted and insecure even when I know they are (Gmail, my work email, Twitter, Facebook, Amazon Seller Central, my personal website login, et cetera). My computer has been acting funny since our outsourced IT guy did some network stuff a couple days ago. Not sure if it's related. I called him already and he's "researching" but I wanted to look into it myself as well.

Got to the office today and saw this: http://juicemousezero.com/blue.jpg

Restarted (not in Safe Mode) and it's been running ok, but I'm still weary... Anyone have any ideas what might be causing these symptoms?

I'm running a full system scan now but who knows if it'll find anything...

Any ideas?

Thanks a million

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: SSL issus across all my browsers (Chrome, Firefox, IE)
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: SSL issus across all my browsers (Chrome, Firefox, IE)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
What did the IT guy do?

In short, your SSL and BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) problems are related, and it's not a stretch to assume they have been caused by whatever changes the 'IT guy' made a few days ago. In your screenshot, note that the cause of the failure was ndis.sys, a driver required by Windows for your networking card. Such issues are typically caused by hardware failure, file corruption, or improper configuration changes, with the latter being the most probable based on recent history. Hopefully it turns out to be just a one-time issue cured by restarting the computer, but if the problem persists I'd focus on finding out what changes the IT guy made.

Regards,
John

- Collapse -
That's great to know

Ok, that's great to know. It must have been something he did, then. Thanks for that reply. Now to try to figure out a way to get to him to understand that he likely configured something wrong... meh. (He's hard to deal with like that.)

Well, restarting hasn't fixed it. My computer's running, but I'm still having all my SSL issues and stuff so... the problem is still quite alive and well.

Thanks again for the reply - that's very helpful.

j.

- Collapse -
The problem was fixed by reseting

The SSL certificate error was fixed by resetting the system clock from 2011 back to 2010. SSL certificates have a lifetime of one year. When the browser sends a date past its expiration date it is refused.

CNET Forums

Forum Info