General discussion

Sreensavers not working

I have installed screensaver from Freeze.Com (found on CNET) when I choose them after installion as the saver that I want. Click on Apply then OK. When I check again the sreensaver says none. I have just rebuilt the machine after a hard disk failed, but the problem started a couple of weeks before. The Microsoft updates are installed and correct after chicking with Belarc. Help one of my favorites is one that will not work?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Sreensavers not working
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Sreensavers not working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Which Screensaver?

You mentioned Freeze.com but not which Screensaver.

I went looking for (www.)freeze.com and my browser security plugin WOT, (Web of trust), displayed a large Red warning when the browser tried to display the web site. WOT's classification of that web site is here;
http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/freeze.com

So, already I am suspicious of that web site, and I will not browse through it. If you can tell us which screensaver, and even better which Download.com web page, I will alert the Download.com team of the problems so they can consider removing it from CNET.

I'm not sure what your post is saying. Have all the screensavers gone? What problems started a couple of weeks before, and before what?

If you know the name of the screensaver file I would search for it and remove it. Screensavers normally have a file extension .scr , so the file will be somefilename.scr. Usually .scr files are installed in the C:\Windows or C:\Windows\System32 folders.

Find that file, delete it, then reboot, (restart), Windows and see if your other screensavers return. If not, try a System Restore back to a date/time before you installed this screensaver.

I hope that helps.

Mark

- Collapse -
Which Screensaver? - New!

Mark,

I have already did what you suggested. AVG does not give that warning and also Nod32 which I an running on another machine is OK also. When I tried to delete programs, it said cannot find Unwise.exe. After deleting manually (e.g The .scr files) I them got a message saying error cannot find the following DLL's (msvcp80.dll ,msvcrt10.dll at various times but never together. I download download the .DLL because I could not find them. I them downloaded the .DLL and registered them with the folowing command

After you download "*.Dll"(file extension dll) on your machine, copy it to
windows/system32/
Go to "start" ==> "run" and type "regsvr32 *.dll" to register the file to the system. For windows 95/98/xp/2000/vista/win7,and win vista,no dlls is corrup!

But was denied Access with the message C++ does not exist. I hope this give you more info.

CNET Forums

Forum Info