HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

Question

Srange Email

by colinito / November 18, 2013 6:19 PM PST

Hello Everyone,

In my inbox I had an email with a title referring to Insurance.

My usual procedure with this type of spam is to immediately delete them.

This one did not have the usual little square box in the front in which to check and chose a destination for it, it had a dotted circle with a dollar sign in the centre. This made checking it without opening it impossible, as checking the dollar sign opened the advertising page.

I decided, after closing the advertising page, to sort all the other emails in my inbox and try to delete it when I had dealt with the other emails

The last email - now beneath the "offending" one - was dealt with and after checking it's box, I moved it to a chosen folder.

When the move was complete, the inbox was empty. Going to the folder that I had sent the email to, I dicscovered the "offending" email had been transferred with it to the same folder.

I returned to the inbox to make sure it was not there, which it was not, I then reopened the folder to try to deal with this odd email, it was no longer there.

I can not find it in any of the folders that I used today, and it does not show in the Inbox, spam, trash etc.

I am not sure about it's location, and as my anti-virus programme does not search my email folders (Yahoo) I have no way of finding it there.

I am slightly concerned that it may be searching for email addresses to propogate a spam list.

In any future case of a similar email appearing, would someone be kind enough to advise me how to deal with it, and how to delete it before this happens again.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Colinito.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Srange Email
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Srange Email
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
I could not find which email app was in use.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 18, 2013 10:46 PM PST
In reply to: Srange Email

As folk use email apps or web email and there are over 100 of these I think you should reply to your own post with a little detail about what app you use.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
More details
by Willy / November 18, 2013 11:52 PM PST
In reply to: Srange Email

I still get spam myself but often enough most gets filtered out. I suggest if you start too much of this then report it to your email service or if you can, "spam" filter it. In some browsers you may select but NOT click on that email and use the "properties" feature and see what/where it comes from or at least some basic details.

https://www.google.com/search?q=email+with+$+sign+in+check+box&espv=210&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=qoWLUqKpNM364AO23YGgAg&ved=0CFsQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=657

I did the search above and got what you may need, but as always anything new or recent attacks need time for protections to best handle them. Alas, be sure to check your browser for any new taskbars or "add-ins" as that maybe where damage could result in getting more of these. I tend to delete my cookies to help reduce any easy access of what I don't want or reduce PUP damage. A good pgm. to use is Adwcleaner to see if anything is amok.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

Again, recheck your browser or if you can activate better protection(higher level) if may be selectable. You gave no clue to what your using, thus more details.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Strange Email
by colinito / November 19, 2013 2:01 AM PST
In reply to: More details

Hello Bob and Willy,

Bob, In my question I mentioned that I am using Yahoo Mail.

Willy, the screening of my emails is usually very good, and if one does get through, I usually delete it before opening it.

In this case, there was no way that I could delete it as there was no box to check and only a dotted circle with a dollar sign inside it - wich, when clicked, opened the advert up - meaning that the unopened mail could not be deleted. And, as I stated, it disappeared from the location of the file to which it atached itself when that file was moved.

So I entered my question to find out if anyone could advise me how to get rid of one if a similar email appears. I would state that I have never received an email that had no check-box and could not be deleted before, which is my main reason for entering my question.

Regards,

Colinito.

Collapse -
Web Mail is not under your control.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2013 2:14 AM PST
In reply to: Strange Email

One of the downsides to web mail is that it is under their control to force folk to read the adverts. There is nothing stopping the above to happen and let's be clear it is intentional.

http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=content&y=PROD_MAIL_CLASSIC&locale=en_US&id=SLN3286 seems to note you can connect up with Thunderbird and as of today and the foreseeable future it will return control to you. That is, you will always be able to delete a message.

Take control now.
Bob

Collapse -
Strange email
by colinito / November 27, 2013 2:13 AM PST
In reply to: More details

Hello Bob and Willy,

Many thanks for your replies.

Unfortunately, having tried several anti spam/virus/ programmes, they do not assist with this particular problem. (My AVG Free states that it has "email protection, but I am not convinced - it didn't find the Conduit Browser - which showed up with over 500 items with Malwarebytes scans!)

I am unclear if it may be able to spread any malware etc, but the fact that I am not able to delete it from my inbox, and it seems to be able to "attach" itself to an email and end up in the folder of that email, makes me wonder if it is benign or if it may carry 'something.'

I shall leave this thread open for a short while longer in case anyone has any other ideas!

Regards,

Colinito

Collapse -
Git're done
by Willy / November 27, 2013 3:05 AM PST
In reply to: Strange email

Understand the Free version of Avast is basic and if you compare the listing of Pro and Free you see the difference. As for conduit infection(but not a virus), that is more than likely you agreed to something or allowed to get pass the defenses if you will. This in turn once you install whatever, cause conduit to have free reign and gets in the way. That along with your other problem if related or not compounds it all. I strongly suggest you visit the spyware forum here and use the tools they provide or suggest. Alas, try all tools and get to the bottom of it before it becomes too much. I have already tried various tools myself on other users and all with varying success with only 1 so far gone, it had to be re-installed from scratch. One better tool is the use of Adwcleaner(ver. 3.013) latest and should help considerably. Also, remove yourself from the WWW during any removals, as the reporting back to ma-ma, may cause some interaction and/or cause some delay.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Strange email
by colinito / November 27, 2013 6:09 PM PST
In reply to: Git're done

Hello Willy,

Than you for your reply.

I found it most interesting. I had not even considered closing from the internet - it is obvious when you bring it to notice - I have never done it, but shall do so from now on!

As you are aware, I finally appear to have eliminated the conduit browser - after some work!

Having seemingly solved the conduit problem, my remaining concern is with these undeletable emails - I shall download your recommended "Adwcleaner(ver. 3.013)" and following a scan with malwarebytes, I shall do one with that. I am still unaware if these strange advertising and undeletable emails carry any malware, so hopefully the scans will find them/it.

The upshot is that I shall now be scanning a lttle more frequently than before!

Thanks again for your advice.

Regards,

Colinito.

Collapse -
Strange email
by colinito / November 27, 2013 6:40 PM PST
In reply to: Strange email

Hello Willy and Bob,

Following Willy's advice, I have just downloaded Adwcleaner(ver. 3.013) through Cnet Downloads using the Custom download choice.

Interestingly, I was offered Conduit in the install!! This may be the source of the conduit that I had. I frequently download through Cnet Downloads, but I have never noticed this before, as I do not often use the custom choice. I am surprised that Cnet would condone such an offer in a download sponsored by Cnet.

Living in Spain, and having a laptop with Spain as the basic language, I likely missed the offer on my last download using the normal download choice and inadvertantly clicked on the "Agree" to download Conduit, thinkng that I was agreeing to download the item of my choice!

I shall take greater care in the future.

To continue - After the download I did a scan with Adwcleaner(ver. 3.013) and it found yet more Conduit items - which I deleted. I hope that this will end my conduit problems.

Regards,

Colinito

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.