Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Squirrel wins fight to stay in Canada

by gmc / April 2, 2005 5:34 AM PST

Squirrel wins fight to stay in Canada

CTV.ca News Staff

Canada's newest resident is small, furry and likes to eat nuts. But this refugee rodent is also tough, taking on the federal government when Ottawa tried to kick the squirrel out.

It was announced Friday that the U.S.-born baby flying squirrel, named Sabrina, can now stay in Canada, despite government efforts to deport her.

The squirrel was brought into Canada last year by Steve Patterson, a Mississauga, Ont., nature lover who wanted to use the squirrel for talks with children.

Patterson bought Sabrina in Indiana. When he brought her back to Canada, he declared her and was waved through. However, a monkey pox scare in the U.S. had caused Canada to ban the importation of rodents.

Federal officials realized their mistake and tried to get the squirrel back, even sending police officers to Patterson's home to retrieve the rodent. Patterson refused them.

Patterson called in Brian Shiller and Clayton Ruby to help him keep Sabrina in Canada, after Ottawa took him to Federal Court. Ottawa lost, and said it would appeal.

The Globe and Mail then featured the story, and the newspaper says shortly after, Public Safety Minister Anne McLellan and Agriculture Minister Andy Mitchell changed the Health of Animals Act.

It now allows squirrels and other recently banned rodents allowed into Canada for "educational purposes."

Despite all the effort and time spent keeping Sabrina in the country, Patterson said he would do it all again. In fact, he's considering getting a friend for Sabrina.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Squirrel wins fight to stay in Canada
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Squirrel wins fight to stay in Canada
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) wtg new they were nuts there :)) glad it worked out
by Mark5019 / April 2, 2005 5:58 AM PST
Collapse -
Yup, gnawed the judge's gavel in half so he couldn't rule
by Ziks511 / April 4, 2005 9:25 PM PDT

against him.

Rob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What a nut! ;)
by MarciaB / April 4, 2005 9:41 PM PDT
Collapse -
I've got some friends for Sabrina
by Josh K / April 5, 2005 1:32 AM PDT

They're living in my roof. Patterson is more than welcome to come get them. In fact, I'd appreciate it!

Collapse -
See, we really do like Americans here in Canada.
by Ziks511 / April 5, 2005 6:38 PM PDT

Of course we usually draw the line at kidnapping or purchase. Gets us in trouble with the UN.

Rob Wink

Collapse -
RE: said it would appeal
by caktus / April 5, 2005 10:33 AM PDT

Wouldn't that be like appealing one's own decision?

Collapse -
Maybe the American GI's that deserted to Canada ...
by Evie / April 5, 2005 10:40 PM PDT

... had the wrong plan. They should have been transported across the border as rodents ... weasels to be exact Wink ... then they might have been allowed to stay for "educational purposes".

Evie Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) thats what they are allready :)
by Mark5019 / April 5, 2005 10:46 PM PDT
Collapse -
Ummm, Rodents and Weasels, two separate families
by Ziks511 / April 5, 2005 11:02 PM PDT

unrelated except that both are Mammals.

Hope you don't wear Roots clothing. Draft Dodger company which clothed the US Olympic team last time.

Rob Boyter

Collapse -
I don't care what they are technically ...
by Evie / April 5, 2005 11:06 PM PDT

... weasels are rodents to me Wink

What does Roots clothing have to do with anything? We bought a real cute sweatshirt of theirs for our neighbor's daughter as extra thanks for kitty-sitting for us. Are the founders draft dodgers or something? I'll have to refrain from going there next time if it is the case.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.