Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Spywareguard 2.2 found BHO in spybotSD and Acrobat Reader

by Gakada / March 19, 2004 3:23 AM PST

My friend asked me about BHO found in SpybotSD by spywareguard. Should he remove it or keep it. Since I'm not sure how to answer the question, I posted here.

First he install Spywareguard 2.2, then SpybotSD. On spybotSD installation, Spywareguard give a warning that it detect a BHO, and ask if he want to remove or keep the BHO found in spybotSD. (he also mention that spywareguard found BHO in Acrobat reader 6, during acrobat reader installation)

The question is, should he remove or keep the BHO, on both application (SpybotSD and Acrobat Reader 6)

Thank You

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Spywareguard 2.2 found BHO in spybotSD and Acrobat Reader
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Spywareguard 2.2 found BHO in spybotSD and Acrobat Reader
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Spywareguard 2.2 found BHO in spybotSD and Acrobat Reader

Gakada

that's strange as I also have Acrobat Reader 6 on my computers and never had a warning like your friend has. I would say, it would be much better to post this message in the Wilders.org forum, as Javacool (the author of the program) can answer your question directly.

Here is the link: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/archive/

You have to register to post - look for: Official Javacool Software Forum

Collapse -
Re:Spywareguard 2.2 found BHO in spybotSD and Acrobat Reader

Hi Gakada,

Since those applications are safe, installation of the BHOs for Adobe & Spybot should be allowed.

You can verify if it is safe BHOs, just go to http://www.sysinfo.org/bholist.php then type adobe or type spybot.

'X' means spyware and 'L' means safe.

Happy

Collapse -
Thanks MS and DB, the key point here is spywareguard
by Gakada / March 19, 2004 7:23 PM PST

is installed first (before SpybotSD and/or Acrobat reader)

My friend also mention that spywareguard will give you the same warning, on IE6 update installation, because IE6 update will change the default Homepage address to microsoft or MSN.

So I guessed, thats the way spywareguard protecting us. In this case I can say it is save to keep the SpybotSD, Acrobat reader and IE6 update BHO's during installation.

Note: many of us install Spywareguard in the last order... after all the above mention program.

Have a nice weekend and enjoy it while you're out there (-- not behind the desk .. --) Cheers..

Collapse -
Re:Thanks MS and DB, the key point here is spywareguard
by Donna Buenaventura / March 19, 2004 7:58 PM PST
So I guessed, thats the way spywareguard protecting us.

Yes, it will stop browser hijacking in real-time (one of its features).

In this case I can say it is save to keep the SpybotSD, Acrobat reader and IE6 update BHO's during installation

Happy
Not all BHO are bad. There are legitimate and needed to be installed if a user wish to use the function. Example: NAV installed a BHO. SG alerted me and I allowed the installation. If I'm not mistaken it is the NAV in the browser toolbar.

Have a nice weekend and enjoy it while you're out there (-- not behind the desk .. --) Cheers..

Same to you Grin
Collapse -
Yep, you are right
by Marianna Schmudlach / March 19, 2004 11:14 PM PST
Note: many of us install Spywareguard in the last order... after all the above mention program.

Have a great weekend Happy
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.