Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

SpywareBlaster question

by roddy32 / November 16, 2004 1:19 AM PST

I just added Javacool's SpywareBlaster to my arsenal. Are there any tricks that I should know about using it? I already enabled everything and I downloaded yesterday's updates. Does it notify you if it blocks something,not so much tracking cookies but Active-X, etc.? If I go to download something will it be blocked or will I be prompted? I have Window's Firewall on SP2 and I have to click the bar when I want to download something. Does this work like that? I read the tutorial and it blocks some sites from using flash from what I read but I use TVGuide.com often which uses flash and that site still works fine which I am assuming is because it is not on the restricted site list? These may sound like stupid questions and I will get used to it quickly but I figured I would ask those that have been using it all along as far as tweaks. Thanks. Grin

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SpywareBlaster question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SpywareBlaster question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: SpywareBlaster question
by Brent Welch / November 16, 2004 1:45 AM PST

Roddy,

No tweaks are necessary with SpywareBlaster.

It works by settinf "kill bits" within the registry, which basically disables the entries so that the spyware items are unable to install on your system. This only needs to be done once, so the program only needs to be run when updates are available, to add protection as new items are discovered and added to the database.

The Flash Killer is a simply an on/off switch. Checking the box will disable flash on ALL sites when you are useing IE. It is unchecked by default, which is why your TV Guide site still works.

HTH

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Great Brent, thanks. :D
by roddy32 / November 16, 2004 1:55 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: (NT) Great Brent, thanks. :D
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 16, 2004 3:59 AM PST

What I like about it as well is that Spybot Search & Destroy recognises that I have SpywareBlaster installed, and recommends I use it for the spyware that Spybot doesn't pick up, eg ActiveX protection.

I think that's cool, that one program designer refers to another.

Mark

Collapse -
Re: (NT) Great Brent, thanks. :D
by roddy32 / November 16, 2004 4:12 AM PST

I saw that too when I first started using Spybot S&D Mark. A lot of these creators are just out to help people and to try and clean up the internet which is great. I tried to donate to Patrick from Spybot S&D using PayPal but was unsuccessful. I found out later the Pay Pal was having problems for a few days so I intend to try it again soon. I wish I knew enough to create some of these tools LOL. I don't really know why I waited this long to download SpywareBlaster but it was probably because I haven't had any major problems and didn't think I needed it but I changed my mind. I also downloaded Stinger yesterday. Can't be too protected I guess Mark.

Collapse -
Great little program!!!
by glenn30 / November 16, 2004 4:34 AM PST

SpywareBlaster!!! Just sits there and quietly causes no problems. Used it since I cannot remember when. Just update the reference files occasionally... generally someone will post when new updates are available.

Glenn

Collapse -
Re: Great little program!!!
by roddy32 / November 16, 2004 4:47 AM PST

I like it already Glenn. I have a feeling that Ad-Aware won't find as many of the usual tracking cookies that it finds. I'm playng around with the "flashkiller" now. I haven't decided to keep it on or off yet because a lot of the regular sites that I frequent use "flash". I'm going to try and get used to just turning it on and off whenever I'm going to a web site that I know uses it unless that starts to aggravate me, if so, I'll just shut it off and hope for the best LOL I may even be the one posting when it has updates, I'm usually playing around on the computer all day anyway and I always checking everywhere for updates. I have a lot of extra time on my hands on the days that I'm feeling good. LOL

Collapse -
by glenn30 / November 16, 2004 5:33 AM PST

Keep playing around Roddy... good way to pass the time and we all learn some things. I am online quite a bit through the day but take some breaks since I am on dial-up.

I enjoy you posts so keep talking! Grin

Cheers!

Glenn

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 16, 2004 6:20 AM PST

I'm on dial-up too Glenn but I have a dedicated phone line for the computer. I live too far out of town to get either cable or DSL and the only other option is satelite but I don't want to use that because I lose the signal for the TV whenever there is rain in the area, regardless if there is lightning or not LOL. I'm in Kansas and get some pretty severe weather, especially in the spring. When the lightning gets close I shut down but if it's just heavy rain, I don't have to and I don't lose the internet when the TV goes out. This is my 3rd computer and it's only a few months old and it's so much faster than my old ones were that the dial-up speed doesn't bother me in the least LOL.

Collapse -
by Marianna Schmudlach / November 16, 2004 7:42 AM PST

Hi Roddy,

I wanted to THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for the GREAT job you are doing here helping users ! I really appreciate your help Happy Keep up the great work !

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 16, 2004 7:59 AM PST

You are very welcome Marianna and if I ever mess up, just e-mail and let me know. I have my e-mail button activated and Donna has my regular address. I'm trying to help without getting in the way either LOL. I enjoy CNET, especially the Virus and Securities Forum and feel like I have made a few friends in here. Thank you also for including me. Now you made me blush. Blush

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 16, 2004 8:30 AM PST

Good on ya roddy!

I blush when I get compliments as well..

At least, I would do, but I never get them, Happy

Mark

Collapse -
by Marianna Schmudlach / November 16, 2004 8:48 AM PST
At least, I would do, but I never get them, Happy

Mark

Hi Mark,

that is NOT quite "correct" - it is NOT long ago - I had compliments for you Happy - hmm... guess, you did NOT even SEE it Cry
Collapse -
Marianna and Markflax
by roddy32 / November 17, 2004 8:34 AM PST

Looks like Mark missed his compliments again Marianna. From BOTH of us. LOL

Collapse -
LOL - Roddy - Mark is "blushing" LOL
by Marianna Schmudlach / November 17, 2004 9:44 AM PST
In reply to: Marianna and Markflax
Wink
Collapse -
Re: LOL - Roddy - Mark is "blushing" LOL
by roddy32 / November 17, 2004 10:39 AM PST

Either that or he still hasn't seen it yet. I guess we will have to keep complimenting him until he sees it or maybe he will slap us for being wise butts. Mischief

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Well Mark, what do ya say? ;)
by glenn30 / November 17, 2004 10:58 AM PST
Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 16, 2004 9:02 AM PST

You forgot already Mark? LOL I complimented you on one of your CNET Weekly Membership answers that you submitted for one of the questions. LOL You and I are a lot alike I think in the way we post. If we know an answer, we say so, and if we are guessing, we also say so. Your answers to people are very easy to understand which most people really appreciate. I consider you one of the friends that I have found in here already too. Keep up the good work Mark. Grin

Collapse -
by Marianna Schmudlach / November 16, 2004 9:22 AM PST

Ha ha - Roddy - Super - now we GOT Mark Devil LOL

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) he he he LOL
by roddy32 / November 16, 2004 9:31 AM PST
Collapse -
by SumerBrez / November 16, 2004 12:41 PM PST

and.. you are so cute when you "blush" *S*
You have the patience of Job my Friend and i appreciate that extra mile you gave with my SP2 issue.You enabled me to learn much.
Thanks for being here.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You are very welcome Sumer, anytime. :D
by roddy32 / November 16, 2004 1:00 PM PST
Collapse -
Good Report
by roddy32 / November 17, 2004 12:46 AM PST

I do a FULL Ad-Aware SE scan usually once a day and I ALWAYS get anywhere from 8-15 tracking cookies, just from my normal surfing, googling trying to answer people's computer questions, etc. and I'm happy to report that after my first 24 hours of using SpywareBlaster, I found NONE, ZERO, NADA, absolutely no tracking cookies or anything else for that matter with BOTH Ad-Aware SE and Spybot S&D. I am impressed and very happy with SpywareBlaster. Grin

Collapse -
Re: Roddy -- Your Ad-Aware Full Scans
by michhala / November 17, 2004 12:04 PM PST
In reply to: Good Report

HI Roddy -- Are your settings on Ad-Aware 1.05 configured according to Marianna's post?

I am thinking that to do a full scan one keeps the default settings except for deselecting "Search for negligible risk entries".

If using Marianna's instructions, the settings are configured for a custom scan.

Am I being blonde again ? Happy

Miki

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 17, 2004 12:27 PM PST

Hi Miki,
No matter whether I do a full, custom, or smart scan I use the default settings except for deselecting the "search for negligible risks" and I also deselect "automatically quarantine objects prior to removal". Once your system is clean, unless you suspect a problem, I don't feel it is necessary to quarantine anything, I just delete it but I always check to see exactly what it is first. I also have that crazy bug noise disabled too. That is one of the most obnoxious sounds I ever heard. LOL The custom scan is more or less the same thing as the full scan. If I'm in a hurry I do just the smart scan. Like I said, if you are pretty sure that your system is clean, any of the scans will work for you. It's a matter of personal preference. I go to Lavasoft's forums occasionally and they ask that negligible risks NOT be included in a log file if someone has to post one. I hope this answers your question.

Collapse -
by michhala / November 17, 2004 12:38 PM PST

What a fast reply! You did answer my questions. I thought you had customized your settings....and, therefore, my question was directed towards doing a custom scan -- as opposed to default settings and doing a full scan.

This is my understanding: Smart System and Full System Scans are pre-configured, and which you select depends upon how thoroughly you wish to examine your computer. The Custom Scanning option is for you to use if you wish to change any of the configurations that are "standard" in the Smart or Full scans.

Miki

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 17, 2004 12:59 PM PST

The only time that I ever did a custom scan was the first scan that I ever did. Then I went and set the Full scan settings for what I wanted. Now I just use the Full scan or the smart scan depending on how much time I have. I really don't see much difference between the Full scan and the Custom scan anyway. You are fine with the settings you are using Miki. It's bedtime for me, Have a goodnight. Grin

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Goodnight, Roddy.....sleep tight :)
by michhala / November 17, 2004 1:05 PM PST
Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 18, 2004 9:00 AM PST

That damm bug noise scares the wits out of me!!

Mark

Collapse -
Mark
by roddy32 / November 18, 2004 9:04 AM PST

Would you like me to tell you how to shut it off?

Collapse -
Re: Mark
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 18, 2004 9:15 AM PST
In reply to: Mark

Now I know I can, I will have a snoop around AdAware and find it.

But I may come back to you!

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.