Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

SpywareBlaster 3.1 trouble

by William Randall / April 8, 2004 3:28 AM PDT

I did something I never do without closing all running programs I installed 3.1 over the old version. The program interface starts to open, but all that shows is a blank window.

I uninstalled and removed all left over files in SB folder, then reinstalled. I still cannot open program.

Running Win98.

William

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SpywareBlaster 3.1 trouble
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SpywareBlaster 3.1 trouble
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:SpywareBlaster 3.1 trouble
by glenn30 / April 8, 2004 3:43 AM PDT

William, can you uninstall that which you now have? I first disabled the old version and then uninstalled it. Then installed Ver 3.1 without any problem... works great.

I think if you can get rid of all the old and install the new version it will turn out good.

Best of luck,

Happy

Glenn

Collapse -
Addendum..
by glenn30 / April 8, 2004 4:57 AM PDT

Sorry but I apparently did not read the last sentence of your post and you seem to have already done that which I suggested. After you have installed everything and removed all files and folders you can... have a look in the registry to see if there are software folders left. If so consider deleting the folders named SpywareBlaster. They may be located in more than one place. Be careful with the registry... suggest backing up registry first. This is sometimes the problem with installing new software where previous versions had been installed.

Sorry for the confusion! Hope this helps some. Happy

Glenn

Collapse -
Re:Re:SpywareBlaster 3.1 trouble
by zeebell / April 8, 2004 5:13 AM PDT

Just this week I downloaded the SpywareBlaster 3.0 -- which I thought was the newest. Evidently not. I did just what William did and had problems with it. When I uninstalled the new and reinstalled the new, all worked great -- and still is.

If I'm not having trouble with the 3.0, would you still recommend getting the 3.1 version? And --- if I do get it, I should uninstall the 3.0 version first, then do the 3.1 version -- right?

Thank you

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:SpywareBlaster 3.1 trouble
by glenn30 / April 8, 2004 7:13 AM PDT

Yes, zebell, 3.0 came out only recently but 3.1 just released has some bug and other fixes. Here is a link containing further discussion.

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=18888&start=0

IMHO the newest version should be installed. Like you indicated I would shut down the old version and uninstall it first before installing 3.1. My install with these two versions went well. Just remember to engage all the setting in the new version as in the old one.

Best of luck, Happy

Glenn

Collapse -
Re:SpywareBlaster 3.1 trouble
by William Randall / April 8, 2004 8:35 AM PDT

Glenn,

Thank you for your responses.

I've tried everything I can think of including using jv16 PowerTools 1.3 to remove the only entry in Registry Tool after several uninstalls to wiping out the SB folder and all that is left in it. About the only thing I've not tried is to install into a directory different than the default one which should make no difference.

I'm about ready to give up on SB.

For zeebell, I believe they won't let you update 3.0 now that 3.1 is out. I tried it and was directed to get 3.1.

William

Collapse -
Re:Re:SpywareBlaster 3.1 trouble
by glenn30 / April 8, 2004 9:16 AM PDT

William, I hope you will not give up on SB since it is a great little unobtrusive program. Must be a way so do keep trying. Have you tried another download of 3.1 and maybe from another link? I suppose it is possible for a download to become corrupt or contaminated in some way. Something has to work for you!!!

Keep your fingers crossed, Happy

Glenn

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:SpywareBlaster 3.1 trouble
by Mark G / April 8, 2004 9:35 AM PDT

i had no problems, 1st uninstalled 3.0 then installed newest version, like they said to make sure programs unprotected before you uninstall

Collapse -
Got new version fine, but have a ? please.
by zeebell / April 8, 2004 2:40 PM PDT

When viewing settings for new version, it shows
IE protection is enabled and Restricted Sites protection is disabled.

I don't know if I should enable the restricted sites protection -- any suggestions please?

Will it change my surfing capabilities if I enable it?

Thank you.

Julea

Collapse -
Re:Got new version fine, but have a ? please.
by glenn30 / April 8, 2004 10:59 PM PDT

I have enable the Restricted Sites protection and recommend the same for you. Without it you are not receiving full protection the program has to offer. I have seen no changes in surfing capabilities. Anyway if you think you have been adversely affected then simply disable that part but I have seen none.

Glenn

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks for all your help Glenn.
by zeebell / April 9, 2004 3:56 AM PDT

Collapse -
It just might be your OS........
by NonSuch / April 9, 2004 3:48 PM PDT

I can't give you a link to the exact message since the site is down right now, but Javacool himself has posted and pinned a message on his forum at Wilders Security Forums that states there is a known problem with SOME Win 98 and Win Me systems running SB 3.0.

There's been nothing posted about a resolution to this bug yet, at least not the last time I checked before Wilders started taking downtime for their switch over, so I believe the same would apply to 3.1. This is why, although I installed 3.0 on my XP machine and have now successfully installed 3.1, I have not attempted to install it on a Win Me machine. I'm waiting for a fix, and then I'll download and install it on that system.

In the meantime, at least that machine has protection with its SpywareBlaster version 2.X. Unfortunately, there will be no further updates for that version, because all support is now directed at 3.1, but some protection is a heck of a lot better than none. Happy

I would suggest that when the Wilders Security Forums are back on line, that you go there and check out Javacool's forum, read his messages regarding 3.0 and 3.1 and perhaps post a question there about your situation. (Who better to ask about a problem than the author of the software himself?)

Collapse -
No problem on my win me
by JChui / April 9, 2004 6:58 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re:It just might be your OS........
by William Randall / April 10, 2004 12:20 AM PDT

NonSuch,

Since my OS is so old and I have so many programs on it and I've experienced MANY "glitches", I've often wondered if the fault may lie with my OS.

However, in this case, I thought I caused the problem myself by doing the dumb thing of trying to install 3.1 over the top of 3.0 while running my normal compliment of programs, something I almost never do.

In any case, I've tried so many different options/combinations that I'd be hard pressed to recount them all.

I basically planned to seek help from wilderssecurity.com ? after I find out they are back online.

Thank you for some good advice and for taking the time to be so detailed in your post. Happy

William

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?