Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Spyware Weekly Newsletter

by auggief / February 15, 2004 5:16 PM PST

SpywareInfo, TomCoyote.org and merijn.org disappeared last week. This is due to a colossal, ongoing distributed denial of service attack. Several thousand trojaned PCs are throwing millions of HTTP GET requests at our server. The attacker is very determined to keep these sites off the net. Every time we filter out the attack, thousand of new machines join in. For now, the server is firewalled and all traffic is being null routed.

No one has claimed responsibility and there has been no attempt to break into the server. We are examining files from some of the infected machines involved in the attacks. At this time, I cannot confirm or deny the rumors floating around that coolwebsearch.com or one of their affiliated sites is responsible for these attacks.

TomCoyote.org is up and running again on a new server and the forums there are available to help people: http://forums.tomcoyote.org/.

TomCoyote has also allowed me to send this newsletter out from their web site and I thank them for it.

Merijn.org is also up and running again on a new server contributed by the folks at X-Block (http://www.xblock.com).

The private mailing list and malware repository for antispyware developers is also up and running on a new server.

SpywareInfo will continue to be down for the next several days. My hosting service and I are working on setting up a system of multiple redundant proxy servers to shield the main server from these attacks. I hope to have this running within the next week or so.

For updates on the situation, please refer to this message board thread: http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showtopic=4413

If anyone would like to contribute a server and hosting, please contact me at mike@tomcoyote.org. There are some minimum requirements for each server. I need a minimum PII 300MHz 128RAM, dedicated IP address, apache 1.3x on linux (preferably red hat) with root access via SSH and minimum of 100GB bandwidth/month. A Virtual Private Server (VPS) will work fine (I don't need a whole box).

It is going to cost a small fortune to set up these proxies to shield SpywareInfo from attack. If you would like to help us pay for these costs, we have a paypal account (https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=paypal%40spywareinfo.com&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD) as well as a postal address:

James Healan
PO Box 2378
Reidsville, GA USA 30453

Thank you very much for your contributions.

SpywareInfo will be back. It will take more than this to keep us off the net.

Mike Healan
SpywareInfo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Click the link below to unsubscribe

To unsubscribe, go to the followig URL :
http://www.tomcoyote.org/swihtmlnl/ml.php?type=desinscription&addr=afields1@sc.rr.com&hash=4040228f9ac6511ad6dca2ce8957b4e1

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Spyware Weekly Newsletter
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Spyware Weekly Newsletter
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Spyware Weekly Newsletter
by Donna Buenaventura / February 15, 2004 6:08 PM PST

Auggief,

Thanks for the heads-up. I noticed that you copied and pasted the unsubscribe link. If I'm not mistaken, if ANYONE will click on that link will automatically UNSUBSCRIBE your e-mail address to receive the Spyware Newsweekly. If this is true, you need to subscribe to them again.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Spyware Weekly Newsletter
by auggief / February 15, 2004 6:41 PM PST

Thanks Donna. Hopefully anyone reading your post will know not to unsubscribe me.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Spyware Weekly Newsletter
by Donna Buenaventura / February 16, 2004 12:01 AM PST

You're welcome Auggief. I suggest that we delete your post. You can re-post it Happy but make sure you will not copy and paste the unsubscribe link. Is it ok with you? The reason I'm suggesting it to be deleted because your email address is visible Sad and others might click on it by mistake or out of curiosity Sad

Only if you want.

Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.