Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Spyware/Virus after effects

by djflish / July 18, 2008 6:45 AM PDT

I've recently had a bit of trouble with some nasty viruses, which I managed to get rid of, but now have a few things that aren't quite right. I'm using Win XP Home Ed and to get to this point I have run Spybot S&D, Lavasoft Adaware, SpyHunter, SuperAntiSpyware, SpyNoMore, AVG, roguefix, SmitFraudFix, CCleaner and ATF-Cleaner (phew!)

1. This is the worst one, and the reason I can't find out how to fix the others! When I use Google or Yahoo to search something and click on one of the results, it doesn't open the link, but opens another window with some random site. It doesn't always work when I copy & paste the URL either. I can only access sites from my favorites.

2. My hard drive is nowhere to be seen in My Computer. I can access it through Run and it's there under Disc Management, I just can't get it to show.

3. The programs in the startup file have stopped 'starting up', though they are showing in 'Processes' nothing is actually happening.

4. I can't use notepad anymore, everytime I try there is a Data Execution Prevention.

5. Everytime I reboot the quick launch links are reset to alphabetical order, not the one I set.

If anyone can help point me in the right direction on any of these I will be forever in their debt.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Spyware/Virus after effects
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Spyware/Virus after effects
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Maybe it would be best........
by Marianna Schmudlach / July 18, 2008 6:59 AM PDT
Collapse -
I would if I could
by djflish / July 18, 2008 7:37 AM PDT

I have used HijackThis but because of the problem I have with notepad I can't save or post a log.

Collapse -
Do you remember.........
by Marianna Schmudlach / July 18, 2008 8:19 AM PDT
In reply to: I would if I could

what kind of "nasty viruses" you had?

Maybe you also should give MalwareBytes Anti-Malware a try....... only to see, IF it still finds anything:

Operating Systems: Microsoft

Collapse -
After the dust settles and you are clean..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / July 18, 2008 10:10 AM PDT

Regarding Spy Hunter and SpyNoMore:

You might want to take a closer look at the above-named software, you presently have installed. Here's something I posted yesterday, which includes information you might be interested in:

"Some information about Spy Hunter"
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6620_102-0.html?forumID=44&threadID=301454&messageID=2813886#2813886

Below all the articles in the above post, the bottom part reads:

**While Enigma's Spy Hunter was de-listed on The Spyware Warrior's List of "Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products and Web Sites" in 2004, it remains to have a "less than stellar" reputation. In the same area, where it says why it was de-listed, they follow with "..Nonetheless, SpyHunter -- at least in its current state -- cannot be recommended because of its mediocre performance as an anti-spyware scanner. Testing indicates that it does not recognize some well-known spyware installations and has difficulty removing critical spyware/adware files even from those it does recognize. Given the many excellent competing anti-spyware applications that are available (some for free), users would do better looking elsewhere for trustworthy anti-spyware protection." ** The above referenced post provides more up-to-date information, if you're interested.

SpyNoMore was also on the above list and it too was de-listed. However, this thread, titled, "Illysoft LLC - SpyNoMore", was created last October, long after the software was de-listed. Without digging too much deeper, here's a comment someone posted in this forum about SpyNoMore, only a couple of days ago.

I realize you have your hands full right now. When all is straightened out, you might consider installing some software, which doesn't have a "haze" around it. Obviously, the decisions are yours to make. I'm only supplying the information, as I see it. Other's may have differing opinions and points of view.

Best of luck to you..
Carol

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.