HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

spyware running under nopdb.exe

by jmhal / February 24, 2006 10:16 AM PST

I recently found spyware disguising itself as nopdb.exe and promptly it. However once I removed it I lost all internet access. I ran a LSP fix/winsock 2 repairer, that I had burnt to a CD but it did nothing. This has happened to another computer before and the LSP fix worked then but not now. I had to restore my computer to regain internet access. Any suggestions on how to remove it without losing internet or regaining internet access after removing the spyware? I have Windows XP home.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: spyware running under nopdb.exe
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: spyware running under nopdb.exe
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
WinsockXPFix
by linkit / February 24, 2006 2:28 PM PST
Collapse -
Information about nopdb.exe
by lateball / February 25, 2006 1:22 AM PST

Quoting this from several websites...

-----
nopdb.exe - Here is the scoop on Norton Speeddisk as it pertains to computer network security. The big question: what is nopdb.exe and is it spyware, a trojan and if so, how do I get rid of Norton Speeddisk?

The nopdb.exe process is used by Norton Speeddisk. By default this process is started automatically when your computer boots up. It can be quite resource intensive, so it is recommended to change the settings of the speeddisk component in Norton Utilities/Systemworks to be started manually. nopdb.exe is an application that does NOT appear to be a security risk. The Spy Bot database currently registers nopdb.exe to Symantec. This is part of Norton Systemworks/Utilities. The Spy Bot database is updated often, but inaccuracies may still exist, often caused by viruses named after valid files such as Norton Speeddisk. Always verify your results just to play it safe.

----
Since it can take up to 80% of computer resources, it is suggested that you disable this. Here's how:
Open Speed disk and go to View > Schedule Options and uncheck Enable Schedule. Also go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Settings, and scroll down to Speed Disk. Right click on it and select Manual then Stop and Apply.

Collapse -
Do not have Norton Speedisk
by jmhal / February 25, 2006 9:06 AM PST

After I installed the new Mcafee it recognized that it was actually spyware and I removed it, leading to the loss of internet.

Collapse -
Go to the task manager
by icewire / February 25, 2006 2:12 AM PST

Go to the task manager and find the tab that says PROCESSES and find the process named nopd.EXE and click it. it should be highlighted. Then click the button that says "terminate". It should eventually dissapear. Then do a search on "nopdb", if nothing comes up then reset and after it reboots run a spyware scan, from your antivirus program. I reccomend SPYBOT. if it does come up, delete it and delete anything suspicious.

Collapse -
Nevermind, he has it. if it isnt spyware dont touch!
by icewire / February 25, 2006 2:15 AM PST
In reply to: Go to the task manager

I wasnt aware of Norton Speeddisk, sorry :S

Collapse -
don't have speeddisk
by jmhal / February 25, 2006 9:15 AM PST

I have researched it and found that spyware has been known to disguise itself as speedisk.
I have, a while ago, tried to stop it from the task manager and it doesn't work, the program just restarts.
After I lost internet access from removing nopdb.exe I restored my computer to the day before and then I went to start-up services and blocked it from running on start up, and blocked it from using the internet via my firewall. I have since allowed it to start on start-up and it hasn't run since and Mcaffe hasn't found it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.