Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

SpyWare? Heres how I deal with it, am I Wrong? Let me know

by Minor Tron God / October 29, 2005 2:10 PM PDT

I am pretty new to home computing and the internet adventure but I am not new to Electronics, been a Tech for nearly 30 years. Viruses, ''BAD'' they will kill ya, a good realtime antivirus protection program is a must,I agree. AdWare, SpyWare, MallWare, KeyLoggers, TrackingCookies, OH MY! Being a newbie to the Internet, OOH Scarey Bears. So I got a SpyWare remover, one you could run stand alone to isolate and remove said ''Scarey Bears'' as well as run realtime to keep it from invading my precious, already slow as hell PC and Dialup connection. I found realtime removal to slow me down so much I quit using it, opting to isolate and remove after any online participation, Fine, Fat and Happy. One time though I ran the Scan, found quite a few new, ''Scarey Bears'', but before isolation and removal I tried something else. I have a couple of different File shredder applications I use, one for it's scheduling ability to overwrite and wipe unused drive space, one for it's Right Click availability. What I did was run the Shredder on all internet cookies and Temp Internet files then, and this is not necessary, on unused disc space. I then ran the SpyWare scanner and found no trace of any ''Scarey Bears''. I kept the the SpyWare remover and practiced this procedure for over a month, always with the same result. I have since removed the Spy Remover and used my procedure instead, just for grins i downloaded another one recently from download.com just to check. Nothing, Zero, Zilch, NoNada por KaKa. Shredding is faster, easier, shredding programs take up less disc space and appearently give the same results. Am I Wrong?, tell me, Inquireing minds want to know. Thanks Y'all.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SpyWare? Heres how I deal with it, am I Wrong? Let me know
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SpyWare? Heres how I deal with it, am I Wrong? Let me know
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
shredders insufficient
by linkit / October 29, 2005 4:04 PM PDT

Some ''scary bears'' will automatically recreate themselves if you try to delete or shred them. The bad wolves who create the nasties are not complacent. They are constantly creating new versions to counter new security measures. Just deleting or shredding the nasties is an ancient remedy.

Cookies are usually harmless and Temporary Internet Files are only the start of where the nasties may hide.

The antivirus and antispyware programs that detect, quarantine, and remove the nasties are designed do so in a secure way (for the most part). Common file shredders are not designed to do this.

As a start, you need to have the big three on your computer:
- Firewall
- Antivirus
- Antispyware

There are free versions of each that don't slow your computer like the big commercial packages, such as Norton Internet Security.

Collapse -
Thanks Linkit "Scarey Bears" more like Klingons
by Minor Tron God / October 30, 2005 10:06 AM PST
In reply to: shredders insufficient

I did knot know about the self replication part, pretty damn devious(must be Republicans). I have Norton antivirus and AOLs Firewall, so I guess I need to get another Spy Killer. I wont be so worried about speed robbing Software after upgrading my system but thats a few Mos. away. I absolutely appreciate the Info though, kinda figured any solution I could come up with had to be too simple. Later on.......
MTG

Collapse -
Security.
by Cursorcowboy / October 29, 2005 10:16 PM PDT

Since you're using Win98 I have to disagree with Linkit and the suggestion for having AntiXXXX run resident on such a machine -- different story for any other. I've used the Win98 OS since it came on the market and use none with very little problem. However, there are a few techniques I use to check and free the system -- after the fact by the way -- of such about twice a month that you'll find in my forum posting ''System invasion.'' It does not mention any precautions for bogus e-mails that is something everybody should know about by now.

Collapse -
Thanks Cowboy
by Minor Tron God / October 30, 2005 10:22 AM PST
In reply to: Security.

It always seemed funny that after leaving the internet and immeadiately shredding any evidence of ever being there had the same results as when I ran a scan and got rid of anything. I will check your other posting next, thanks again.................
MTG

Collapse -
Most people are feeling
by PudgyOne / October 30, 2005 8:05 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks Cowboy

Most people are feeling that Internet Explorer has many flaws. Most people are changing to a different one. I have tried AOL's, Netscape's, and now MOZILLA FIREFOX'S.

I enjoy Mozilla Firefoxes the best. You can change the appearence to match your style, it has the same plug ins, and you can choose from the many extentions.

I have also stopped using Outlook Express. I now use MOZILLA THUNDERBIRD. It also has many features that it's browser has.

As for email storage limits, it depends on who your ISP is. Some ISP have storage of 6 MB, 100MB, 250MB, and gmail has a storage of 2582MB.

As for all people you should have good virus protection. Norton slows down your computer(if you have an older one) whereas AVG FREE or AVAST do not.

Also you need to have measures to stop spyware from getting into your computer. you can get C W Shredder to help remove some and you can also use SPYBOT SEARCH & DESTROY. Another good spyware remover is AD AWARE and one that stops spyware from getting into your computer is SPYWARE BLASTER. Then when all else fails you can get HIJACKTHIS.

If you use all these tools it will not elminate spyware from getting into your computer, but it will help. Some spyware gets into your computer using the Macromedia Flash player. If you feel that you still might have spyware in your computer, then you can go to PANDA ACTIVESCAN and do an online scan. You can also go to TREND MICRO to do another online scan.

Hope this helps

Collapse -
question
by PKsteven / November 8, 2005 5:44 PM PST

I have used Mozilla and do like it but something prompted me to uninstall it. When I was reading the technical setup aspect of it, it says it uses IE's search engine to operate. Now, I was a bit turned off by this because isn't that, well , masking IE but still using it? This is why I uninstalled it figuring, what's the point? I don't know if others have caught this, have you? Or anyone for that matter?
TIA, Paul

Collapse -
If you
by PudgyOne / November 8, 2005 6:31 PM PST
In reply to: question

If you can find this information and post the URL here, we'll be glad to read about this.

Most of the features in Mozilla Firefox can be contolled so that you can customize it to meet your needs.

I use AdBlock and the AdBlock updated to block Ads.
I also use the All-In-One side bar.
I use NoScript so noone can take control of my computer.
I use Forecastfox for the weather.
I also use the tabbrowser preferences. It's nicer than having two, three, four windows open at the same time.
I also use a html editor, for when I'm working on the website.

And at last but not least, I use Noia 2.0 theme. I use this theme because I like the way it looks. You can use different themes to make it look the way you'd like it.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
thanks for reply
by PKsteven / November 9, 2005 1:40 AM PST
In reply to: If you

Actually it wasn't on the url, it was during the setup. I can however, install it and try to copy the text message. I'll let you know.
thanks again.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Use what works for you & keep it
by Willy / October 30, 2005 9:07 PM PST
Collapse -
Even Faster & More Thorough is Free Program....
by tobeach / November 1, 2005 2:27 PM PST

Crap Cleaner (CCleaner). In under 4 seconds it will clean & delete more internet histories incl. WMP, Flash, DVD lists, index data, Adobe, Javacaches,Moz/Firefox and much more ! First Link is for download of program & 2nd is descriptive Tutorial of what each box (to tick/untick) is for. You won't believe what a great program it is!! Happy
1)http://www.ccleaner.com/

2)http://www.ccleaner.com/help/

Collapse -
I agree
by PKsteven / November 2, 2005 12:10 PM PST

Ccleaner is a pretty nifty app. It's small, cleans well and does wonders for registry boo boo's. I do use it as well but I won't take the update because it is only a trial version, not free. I simply don't think it's wonderful enough to pay for, but for free, not bad.

Collapse -
That's Strange !! I Just Downloaded V#.1.25.201 2 Days Ago &
by tobeach / November 2, 2005 2:49 PM PST
In reply to: I agree

it installed right over my former version (3rd or 4th upgrade) and works like a charm. I have never seen a price attached to this program only a request for a donation (vouluntary). It is redistributable for free and no- one should be charging anything. I worry if someone has played w/ the program (a re distributing Site)?
Get it from the source here:
http://www.ccleaner.com/
Tips on check boxes & what they do here:
http://www.ccleaner.com/help/
If you're expected to pay, I think The Originator would very much want to know!! Enjoy!! Happy

Collapse -
You darn right it is!
by PKsteven / November 4, 2005 1:18 PM PST

Thanks for that info, I went to the link and yes, it's free! My update says 29.99 after 30 days. I will be screen shotting this and have already emailed ccleaner about it. Thanks I appreciate it! Paul

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) My Pleasure! ALWAYS Get Programs From Home Source!
by tobeach / November 4, 2005 3:31 PM PST
In reply to: You darn right it is!
Collapse -
home source
by PKsteven / November 4, 2005 4:35 PM PST

That's just it, I got it from download.com, which was linked to the home source, but the update feature was giving me the hassle, telling me it was only an evaluation for 30 and I had to pay after that. I finally did a manual update and it works fine now. Some things are stranger than fiction. Thanks again.

Collapse -
Got CCleaner already, but
by Minor Tron God / November 2, 2005 1:13 PM PST

CCleaner only deleates, not overwrite the file. Therefor the file still exists hanging out in free space on the hard drive. Thats why its important to Shred files and either overwrite unused disc space periodically either with random #s passes or using DOD 3pass or 7pass overwriting. This also seems (To me anyway) to help DeFrag to run faster. Deleteing only removes windows ability to locate the file not erase it. You are right about CCs speed though its damn fast and does a great job, better than alot of beefer and pricey cleaners out there.

MTG

Collapse -
You're are right that multiple passes are the best way to..
by tobeach / November 2, 2005 2:53 PM PST

totally erase and make hard to restore & about gaining back space. But for everyday removal of histories etc it is fabulous (& the price is right!). Happy

Collapse -
Were in total agreement
by Minor Tron God / November 3, 2005 8:39 AM PST

I wouldn't give up CC for nuttin. Later

MTG

Collapse -
I've tracked this discussion since I stsrted it
by Minor Tron God / November 3, 2005 9:00 AM PST

Here is an update. I have continued to use the procedure I normally use in erasing after any Internet excursion. last night I downloaded ADAWARE SE and the DEFs update, left the Internet and duplicated the erase procedure. Installed ADAWARE, new DEFs and ran a thourough scan. SOB, 47, #$%@*&#ing new infections. Now that really grinds my gears, but answers my question. Erasure is not enough, Beware "Scarey Bears" are everywhere, definately use a Spyware killer. I appreciate everyones Input, it really helps to to get others Ideas and learn from them. The comments on Ccleaner echo my own, see everyone around.
Later on

MTG

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?