Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Spyware help please

I was helping a friend with her computer. I installed & ran Spybot Search & Destroy and also Ad-Aware. Spybot showed ''Back Web Lite'' with 62 spyware entries affecting her REGISTRY KEYS. That scared me as I am not conversant enough with computers to mess around with Registry Keys. Can I go ahead and let Spybot delete all 62 entries?

Spybot also showed 2 files infected with Backdoor.Win32.Spyboter.gen. Do I just delete those 2 files or go to Norton and figure out what that virus is & use Norton's removal tool?

Thanks!
lar

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Spyware help please
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Spyware help please
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
safe to delete all

In reply to: Spyware help please

then re scan to see if any re appear and post details please.

Collapse -
NOT "SAFE" to delete all.........

In reply to: safe to delete all

BackWeb is a generic, background downloading tool that software vendors can incorporate into their product to download data (e.g. product updates) to the user's PC. Its operation depends on the instructions given to it by the individual software vendor who bundles it. It is bundled with products from HP (HP Pavilion), Compaq, Network Associates, Real Networks, Logitec (with their mouse drivers!), IBM, F-Secure, Western Digital Data Lifeline, Kodak digital camera sync software, Kodak Software Updater (for Kodak Easyshare digital cameras), Packard Bell ActivSurf.

When bundled with legitimate products, in some cases it is required, in some cases it is optional in other cases unnecessary.

http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=30347&st=0

Collapse -
Hi Lar

In reply to: Spyware help please

Backweb is a software downloading program that is used by many companies including HP/Compaq/Logitech/Kodak. It's used for updating things that came on the computer. Some classify it as spyware so it is a personal choice as to whether or not you remove it. IF you choose to do so, you should check add/remove programs, depending on your friend's particular circumstance there may be program(s) to remove. I would let Spybot delete the others if it is able to and, if not, then go the Norton route.

Collapse -
If it's a HP

In reply to: Hi Lar

If it's a HP I would allow it to remain on the computer. I removed 67 entries of Back Web lite and had problems. I had to recover it.

Hope This Helps

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.