General discussion

Spyware Dr. and dail-up updates

It becomes a PITA when Spyware Dr. supplies a pgm. update that is roughly 80mb which under dial-up is not good. The painful d/l takes forever and maybe corrupted after all is said and done. What, I have found, if not already known is to reset the d/l preferences to "silent setting" which in turn allows an incremental d/l rather than an all or one time shot at it. This way for a prolonged period of time the update does get done and hopefully isn't corrupted. Maybe this answer has been already supplied, but getting info from the Spyware Dr. forum is yet another factor in posting here. The info just wasn't immediately or readily available as the forum, requires this and that, to me was another PITA. Alas, I hope this helps someone that maybe in the same dire need as I was. good luck -----Wily Sad)

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Spyware Dr. and dail-up updates
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Spyware Dr. and dail-up updates
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
No sign it will get any better. Here's why.

As more and more spyware, malware, virus, trojans and the rest are created the updates are likely to keep growing in size.

You do have an option to move to a platform that for now does not use an antivirus like Linux or Apple. The Apple would mean another machine but Linux is free and not too hard today on folk.
Bob

- Collapse -
Yeah, I know >sigh<

Well, Robert living in a rural area where it seems no hi-speed(can't afford satelite) broadband will ever come my way makes my laptop purchase long ago a wise decision. I figure as you the updates will be getting smaller, but the update in question was for the pgm. itself rather than a AV/virus database update. I fell out of any Linux systems as most people I support are windows based. Quite frankly, those are some old systems to boot. adios -----Willy Happy

- Collapse -
What my brother did

Was head to wifi hotspots for such updates. Windows Updates can be many times larger than what you noted.

Later he opted for a data plan on his blackberry.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info