HolidayBuyer's Guide

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Spyware / Browser Hijack?

by khorn1 / October 10, 2005 1:28 PM PDT

Whenever I do a search, like on google, or msn and I get a list of web pages that match my keywords...I go to click on the link, and it takes me to another search engine. Search engines I have never heard of, for that matter. I have done 2 spyware scans (pc-cillin and spybot s&d) and neither of them locate any spyware whatsoever. I also did a virus scan, and nothing comes up. I also went to my "add/remove programs" in the control panel to see if there were any programs installed that could be the culprit, but only normal programs are there. And, for some reason, when I clear my cookies and offline files in "internet options" it stops for a little bit, but give it 15 minutes and it starts doing it again.

Anyone know anything about this? I am running windowsXP on an e-machines T2892.

Any help would be appreciated!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Spyware / Browser Hijack?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Spyware / Browser Hijack?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hi khorn1
by roddy32 / October 10, 2005 9:54 PM PDT

Try ewido and see if it finds anything. Also, try Ad-Aware SE. Let us know what they find please.

Ad-Aware SE (a scanner, download, check for updates, read the directions and scan).
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

ewido
Dowload link http://www.ewido.net/en/

* Install ewido security suite
* When installing, under "Additional Options" uncheck "Install background guard" and "Install scan via context menu".
* Launch ewido, there should be an icon on your desktop double-click it.
* The program will now go to the main screen

You will need to update ewido to the latest definition files.

* On the left hand side of the main screen click Update
* Then click on Start Update

The update will start and a progress bar will show the updates being installed.
If you are having problems with the updater, you can use this link to manually update ewido.
http://www.ewido.net/en/download/updates/

Once the updates are installed do the following:
* Click on scanner
* Click on Complete System Scan and the scan will begin.
* While the scan is in progress you will be prompted to clean files, click OK
* When it asks if you want to clean the first file, put a check in the lower left corner of the box that says "Perform action on all infections" then choose clean and click OK.
* Once the scan has completed, there will be a button located on the bottom of the screen named Save report
* Click Save report.
* Save the report .txt file to your desktop.

Now close ewido security suite.

Collapse -
Thank you!
by khorn1 / October 11, 2005 12:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Hi khorn1

I'm not sure if the ewido cleared things up or not, but I will keep you updated. You asked to post what all the scan found (that spybot s&d and pc-cillin didn't) so here goes:

+ Created on: 9:44:22 PM, 10/11/2005
+ Report-Checksum: CD3C866

+ Scan result:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\MSEvents.MSEvents -> Spyware.VirtuMonde : Cleaned with backup
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\MSEvents.MSEvents\CLSID -> Spyware.VirtuMonde : Cleaned with backup
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\MSEvents.MSEvents\CurVer -> Spyware.VirtuMonde : Cleaned with backup
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\MSEvents.MSEvents.1 -> Spyware.VirtuMonde : Cleaned with backup
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions\{c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} -> Spyware.Alexa : Cleaned with backup
HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions\CmdMapping\\{c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} -> Spyware.Alexa : Cleaned with backup
HKU\S-1-5-21-3079149379-497108839-1365999799-1005\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions\CmdMapping\\{c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} -> Spyware.Alexa : Cleaned with backup
HKU\S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions\CmdMapping\\{c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} -> Spyware.Alexa : Error during cleaning
C:\Documents and Settings\Kelli and Nate\Cookies\kelli and nate@2o7[2].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.2o7 : Cleaned with backup
C:\Documents and Settings\Kelli and Nate\Cookies\kelli and nate@bfast[2].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Bfast : Cleaned with backup
C:\Documents and Settings\Kelli and Nate\Cookies\kelli and nate@com[1].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Com : Cleaned with backup
C:\Documents and Settings\Kelli and Nate\Cookies\kelli and nate@doubleclick[1].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Doubleclick : Cleaned with backup
C:\Documents and Settings\Kelli and Nate\Cookies\kelli and nate@microsofteup.112.2o7[2].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.2o7 : Cleaned with backup
C:\Documents and Settings\Kelli and Nate\Cookies\kelli and nate@questionmarket[1].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Questionmarket : Cleaned with backup

Thank you so much for your help!
Kelli

Collapse -
Hi Kelli,
by roddy32 / October 11, 2005 8:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Thank you!

So far, so good. Did you also try Ad-Aware?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.