Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

spyware blaster and norton utilities...blue screen

by reefurbb / June 12, 2005 11:21 AM PDT

using norton utilities 2002...no longer supported.
install spyware blaster 3.4, reboot, and I get a BSOD, it shuts down System Doctor. Try to pop up the syware blaster program and it blue screens.
Uninstall both.
Reinstall SWB first, enable protection, update, reboot, things are ok.
Install NU 2002, initiate sensors I want, reboot, things are ok for a few days. I have SysDoc start with W98Se, minimized.
Then again, BSOD at boot, continue, sysdoc turned off again. Hit SWB shortcut to program, BSOD. Hit sysdoc, BSOD.
Uninstall both, reinstall, working ok again. For how Long?
Javacool site, no help. Symantec site, no help. Google BSOD info, no help.
Cnet forum search, no pertinent results. Evidently I'm the only one with problems.
BTW, this is clean install of W98SE, IE6, AVG, Spybot, Adaware, Zone Alarm, Spyguard (companion to SWB but doesn't seem to affect).
Msconfig shows no entry for SWB, nor ctrl-alt-del, nor AutoStart Viewer.
Evidently SWB and System Doctor don't like each other.
Anyone else know about this and a fix?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: spyware blaster and norton utilities...blue screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: spyware blaster and norton utilities...blue screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hi reefurbb
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 12, 2005 8:45 PM PDT

No answer for you I'm afraid, but I reckon that's a lot for a 200Mhz cpu and 80MB Ram machine to cope with.

I haven't used System Doctor so I dn't know, but if it is conflicting with SWB, why not ditch it, and stay with SWB?

I note you have Spybot and Spyguard. Spybot says it is a companion to SWB as well, so is there any need for you to run them both? You seem pretty well covered with ZA, AVG, SWB and either Spybot or Spyguard.

I would have ditched NU 2002 ages ago, but if you've had it since 2002 and it has become a good friend, (as it were), it's difficult to let go I suppose, but I'm not sure what NU 2002 sensors you need with the protection you already have.

Anyway, just my own thoughts.

Good luck

Mark

Collapse -
Heellooo Mark..
by reefurbb / June 13, 2005 11:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Hi reefurbb

SysDoc sits in sys tray as a red-green syoplight, lets me know (red) that something is up. A left or right click brings up the sensor display.
CPU useage...lets me know something is using a lot of CPU speed. WinTop (old W95 app) tells me exactly what.
WinDoc...system errors
DiskDoc..scandisk, file, errors
Disk Health...potential bad sectors.
Disk Space...Disk Optimization reference.
Swap File useage, virtual mem useage, RAM useage, physical ram useage.
all at a glance.
2002 because it doesn't need updating and I've read adverse comments about newer Norton Utilities (Works) as it got more designed towards XP, bloated, more sys resources needed without more benefit.
Spybot (free) doesn't block-protect, teatimer is a pain. I just have some friend that almost demand to use Spyware Blaster, figuring it SHOULD work.
200mhz PI because it runs 95% ok for me, except for W98 glitchiness and maintainance. Won't do DVD and other stuff but I'm not that rich yet.
I've just been on the lookout...free or cheap...for a spyblocker that works well like an AV.
TIB toolbar seems to be a malware that will fry IE and require a complete W98SE reinstall.
Not ready to learn XP, SP2, and another whole briefcase of troubles-fixes.
Thanks anyway... I've seen 2 machines that SWB does run on ok, similar setup to what I'm working on. Can't figure the difference..Oh well.

Collapse -
Good luck with your search
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 14, 2005 3:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Heellooo Mark..

for a companion spyblocker adnd solution to your problem.

It seems like you're very happy with Win98, and that's the main thing isn't it.

Like you say, "glitchiness and maintenance", but with all you've got, you seem on top of everything. I'm still not sure why you need anything from N2002 if you have AVG, ZoneAlarm, and the system and disk utilities like SysDoc and WinDoc, but there you go, different strokes, and all that.

Best wishes.

Mark

Collapse -
Ahh, I see
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 14, 2005 3:45 AM PDT

I just read your other post, (6.30 am CNET time), and I see now that WinDoc is part of Nortons 2002.

Fair enough.

Mark

Collapse -
Just an opinion.
by Bob__B / June 13, 2005 2:22 AM PDT

As a multi year user of w98 I've found that the trick to keeping the OS and this small machine happy is to keep it simple/small.

XP users with high HP machines get to run all those products at the same time with no problems but I can't do that.

So the question is>do you REALLY need all those products?

I don't have the products you've mentioned and as far as I can tell nothing bad has happened.

Collapse -
same can be said for W95 but...
by reefurbb / June 13, 2005 11:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Just an opinion.

I used to do a lot of full reinstalling of W98SE but now Norton Utilities WinDoctor fixes a tremendous amount of stuff you don't know about utill you use it or some similar stuff out there. There are 27 entries for checking-fixing, mostly registry, invalid Xcom entries, invalid file associations, etc.
Disk Doctor is a lot faster than DOS scandisk/surface for Hdd's especially floppies.
I have a bunch more that take up little or zero resources until used.
ASviewer...shows ALL processes that start with Windows.
WinTop, from W95 tools..shows %CPU use per process.
irfanview viewer...way useful
Belarc Adviser...PC profile, including IE updates.
Aida32..hardware profiler.
DAP download accelerator..old version..way useful.
Partition Magic.
rjh file extensions, logs all files in a folder.
System Mechanic, safe junk cleaner, registry cleaner, startup cleaner, adds more functions to right click...
WinRAR, better than WinZip.
ZoneAlarm
MSI installer, cleanup tool, from MS.
I do a lot of PC fixing, slaving their Hdd to my PC, analyzing-fixing enough to work in their PC, also loading some files to easy install.

Collapse -
Get rid of Norton Utilities!!
by Earth9111 / June 14, 2005 10:10 PM PDT

I've had McAfee Nuts and Bolts,Norton Utilities,Norton Crash.You're system will thank you if you get rid of programs that will eventually kill you're machine.Windows had its own tools that just as effective.I learned my lesson through these 7 years on machine.

Collapse -
Au contrare mon capitan...
by reefurbb / June 15, 2005 9:08 AM PDT

W95 had Power Tools, W98 did not, but can use W95 stuff.
Scandisk does not check for, nor fixes, much.
System File Checker is limited.
Scanregw, registry checker, does not fix much.
WinDoctor:
1. registry integrity.
Registry checks:
2. active xcom.
3. active xcom sub section.
4. application paths.
5. device drivers.
6. fonts.
7. help sections.
8. MS shared files.
9. RUN section.
10. sound customization.
11. Symantec shared.
12. uninstall section.
13. VXD section.
other:
14. MSdos common program location.
15. MSdos My Documents shortcuts.
16. MSdos C: windows shortcuts.
17. shortcuts...My Documents.
18. shortcuts...Programs shortcuts.
19. shortcuts...C:Windows.
I'll admit that many fixes aren't worth much but, as I've said before, "Often I used to have to do a clean reinstall of W98SE to fix a PC. Now I don't near as often."
I have found and used at least 8 other programs that can do most, and more, of these things, but NU has the group...so why not. I've NEVER had it screw up a good machine or make a bad one worse.
One of these days, I'll have to see what NU2005 does for an XP SP2 machine...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.